Bath time - My 18 month old

Hi - I just began using the actual tub rather than the baby tub where my son sat in and now he wants to stand up in it. Is it to soon to begin the real tub on him? Should I wait?

Alisamom

Asked by Alisamom at 9:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nah, my daughter is only ten months and she is in the big tub... it's more fun! Standing up is dangerous, just keep telling him no and sitting him back down. Eventually he will catch on. I know it can be exasperating, just be patient with him!!
    AJsMomma

Answer by AJsMomma at 9:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My DD has used the big tub since she was able to sit up. She grew out of her baby tub by then anyway, she was about 6 months I think.....shes kinda a big girl! LOL
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My son is 18 months old too and he has been in the regular tub since maybe 8 or 9 months. Just keep telling him to sit on his "bottom" and make sure he has plenty of bath toys to keep him wanting to sit and play while you wash him up. A bath mat is a great idea too...helps not be so slick and might make him feel more comfy too:) Good luck!
    bamsmama23

Answer by bamsmama23 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Not at all! my daughter was in a real tub at 5 months when she could sit on her own. we never used a bath seat either. she is now 14 months and loves taking showers with me she likes to stand too. I let her, i just dont let her stand by the faucet. i do have a bath mat so she doesnt sleep because she does if its not down! LOL
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 10:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My son too is 18 months old and he did the same thing. My solution was to put toys in the tub. We have a small bucket thingy next to the tub and he dumps it all out before he gets in and he sits really well and plays with his toys. I recommend a variety of toys. Some that float and some that sink. His favorite thing is to find the toys that sink under the bubbles. Anyway, good luck and stick with it mom!
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My DD has been in the big tub since 6 months old. now she is 19 months and she dances while i bath her!
    deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 10:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Get a faucet cover to prevent injuries if your LO was ever to slip and fall. Bath mat helps with the slips. My son has been in regular bathtub ever since he was six months old. He still likes to stand up in the tub, mainly to reach for toys and splash. Just be patient and tell your LO to sit down and guide her back to sitting position. As long as you have a bath mat, a faucet cover, and sit at the bathtub, ready to grab your LO at the sign of slips, it will be fine, My son has taken up a new interest in sitting and falling back and sliding under water... and then rolling onto his belly! It freaks me out because his face goes under the water but he has been perfectly fine. (coughed several times but went right back at it. Lol.) Kids are weird.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My son has been in the tub since he was able to sit up on his own he is two now and i also put toys in their with him to occupy him while i wash him and have a bath mat too in there helps keep him from slipping if he stands up which i make him sit every time he stands. He also occasionally takes a shower with daddy so he gets to stand in their with him bc dad is there for if he does start slipping. Good luck.
    littleboys2008

Answer by littleboys2008 at 1:13 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'm going through the same thing with my baby right now. i put her baby tub inside the big one to let her get used to sitting in there.
    kar31

Answer by kar31 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Thanks for all your answers - WOW do I feel like an overly nervous mother. Everyone put their babys in the real bath tub months ago. Thanks for all your answers.
    Alisamom

Answer by Alisamom at 10:44 PM on Jul. 3, 2009