How often should I offer my 12 month old new foods? Advice please?

My 12 month old still eats baby food and cereal for breakfast and dinner, but I am slowly trying to give her regular foods instead. For dinner this evening, I baked a sweet potato, then mashed it with milk and just a hint of sugar. Then I mixed in a tablspoon of rice cereal. She only ate half, then refused to eat the rest. I felt a bit discouraged...

How often should I continue to offer the sweet potatoes (and any other new foods)? I am more than willing to continue with the baby food if that's what she likes, but I would rather she eat regular food, because it's cheaper. AND, I don't want her to go hungry.

ADD: She eats some table foods for lunch and snacks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son is 12 months old and is completely on table food unless we're going somewhere and I'm iffy about how healthy the food is, I pack some baby food. I would try to encourage her to self-feed. Try something familiar, like chunks of ripe banana, pieces of peaches, cooked green beans and peas, etc. You could try pieces of whole-wheat toast with some fruit spread. Noodles. Make some home-made mac-and-cheese with whole-wheat noodles... my son loves those! He eats better when he self-feeds rather than spoon-feeds. I don't think you need to be wary anymore unless your family has history of allergies. After all, she has tried all baby food fruit/veggies/grains, or so I assume.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:25 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• At 12 months she should already be eating table foods. She should be off formula(if she was on formula) and be getting all her nutrtion from table foods. I guess just keep giving her table food and as she gets used to it, she'll eat better.
    Anonymous

• My doctor alway told me use the rule of 3. try new foods on 3 diffrent occations, at least get them to take 3 bites, and if they did not like it try again in 3 months. At that age their tastes change so fast.
    deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 10:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Whenever you eat it! My nine month old started solids a month or so ago, and she never ate baby food. She has bits of what we eat. Tonight, she ate about 1/2 a cup of parmesan basil risotto and one bite of pork. She does like sweet potatoes, and eats about a quarter of one at a sitting. A whole sweet potato is a lot for a 12 month old. But regular food is healthier for them anyway, so I say go for it.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 11:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My babys doctor said try the new food for 3 days to see if there is an allergic reaction, no sea food yet, and go easy on any fish, tuna, ect. my 14 month old has been on table food since about 6 months mixed with baby food.But I have a food processor that I use. I just dont mash it up as much as I did to make baby food, she still has baby cereal in the morrings mixed with bananas,the only veggy she wont eat is califlower
    itmomnotmeaw

Answer by itmomnotmeaw at 1:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• By 12 months my kids were on 100% table food. My youngest actually stopped eating baby food by 9 months and was completely self fed on table food (with her bottles on the side). She should be eating whatever you are. Just keep offering it over and over otherwise you are going to end up with a picky eater.
    She might eat more if you let her feed herself. Just leave the food and a spoon (if you like) on the tray/table and let her play with it. Eventually some will go in her mouth.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:04 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• It can take a dozen tries to get a child to actually eat a new food.
    NO SUGAR!! Children need to learn to like fruits and vegetables.
    Here are some great foods for a one year old: avocado, baked sweet potato, cooked beans, cooked lentils, tofu cubes, frozen peas, frozen blueberries, raspberries, lightly steamed zuchini spears, whole wheat pasta (spirals are easy to hold, hummus (even better with a mashed egg).

The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 2:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2009