7wk old eats and eats- 4-6oz every hour. Normal?

My 7wk old wants to constantly be eating. Shes formula fed. She has recently started to projectile spit up- as if shes eating too much. But she will cry and scream, and wont stop crying until I feed her. I try everything, swaddle, pacifier, swing, she just wants to eat. My peditrition said I cant feed her that much, but I dont know what else to do. I can't not feed her. Help!

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 9:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have your pediatrian do an ultra sound and check out her pyloric valve. The projectile vomiting is not normal. Both of my boys had Pyloric Stenosis and they had to eat every hour and then would vomit. I also had a brother with it. The peditrian will probably give you the run around at first (most do for some reason) and tell you it is only in first born males and she most likely has reflux. Some will even go as far as telling you that your over reacting. Insist on this test. And sometimes the baby may need to be re-tested. But this is often mis diagnosed as reflux. Girls do get this disorder. The good news is, if it is caught early, it is easily fixed. Normally by an operation. Which is actually very routine and fixes the problem immediately. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    jcsg

Answer by jcsg at 9:39 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It's very common for babies to THINK they are hungry when their tummies hurt. You need to talk to your doctor about other options, she could be colicky, or have reflux. That is def. too much food!!!
    AJsMomma

Answer by AJsMomma at 9:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I remember those days! It is very normal for a baby at that age to eat every hour or so but 4-6 ounces seems like a lot. Does she finish the bottle? Try giving her 2-3 ounces instead, and I agree that projectile vomiting is NOT normal...have you mentioned that to the doctor yet? Or have you tried a different kind of formula? We had to go through 3 different kinds just to find one my son did OKAY with. I'm sure you've been told this before but it will get so so so much easier!! Is this your first?
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2009