just diagnosed as colic- any suggestions?

my 7wk old was diagnosed as a colic baby as of yesterday. And here I thought all babies must cry this much. Any suggestions on how to sooth her?

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 9:31 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make a list of things to try. Start at the top, work your way down. If something works, great. If not, start over again at the top. No one thing will work every time. We had the best luck with stroller rides in the house and white noise in her room.

Monitor your own needs and emotions too. Do not hesitate to put your baby in her crib and leave her. Go down the hall, turn on the shower to make some noise, and just sit in the bathroom. Or sit on your porch. Just get away for 5 to 10 minutes. It's far better than getting overwhelmed and hurting her. Colicy babies are far more likely to be harmed by a parent. Also remember that PPD is far more common in moms with colicy babies. Do not hesitate to get help from your doctor.

Mark her 16 week birthday on your calendar in big, red ink. By that point, the colic will be mostly or completely gone. If it's not... it's not colic.

For other ideas, try www.ColicShop.com
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• yes give her some tylenol feed her then go for a car ride until she falls asleep go home lift the car seat GENTLY out of the car and let her sleep in the car seat (buckled i) with a blanket next to you bed....
    also please look up the accurate medical definition of colic--- or hold on I'll go get it for you...
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:35 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• here it is---
    Baby colic (also known as infant colic, three-month colic, infantile colic and colic) is a condition in which an otherwise healthy baby cries or screams frequently and for extended periods without any discernible reason.

The condition typically appears within the first three weeks of life and almost invariably disappears, often very suddenly, before the baby is three to four months old.[1] It is more common in bottle-fed babies, but also occurs in breast-fed infants.[citation needed] The crying frequently occurs during a specific period of the day, often in the early evening.
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:37 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• To tell you the truth about the time you figure out a way to sooth her the colic will be over! God bless you, my son had colic. Thank God my mom lived close to me when he was a baby! Just remember she cant help it, and you cant help it. It might make you feel like a bad mom (it did me) but your NOT dont forget that.

deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 10:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• A Sling or wrap
    chamamile tea (whats in colic water but way cheaper)
    gas drops
    find what works for you a swaying motion usually helps so a swing or maybe bouncy seat with vibrations , rocking in a chair holding him, it's the motion that helps

My first son had colic and sometimes it's a nightmare so if you get too stressed out remember it's ok to put him down in a safe place and walk away for a minute, you being stressed won't help. Enlist the help of family memebers and friends.

Good Luck
    myscreamer

Answer by myscreamer at 10:41 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• My baby has colic. What works the best for her is running the vacuum cleaner. My floors are so clean. :) If that doesn't work I pick her up and have her facing away from me and walk around the house like that. Sometimes nothing works. Sometomes ya gotta just walk away. Ususally if I let her cry by herself for about five minutes... my soothing tricks work a little better when I get back. Just remember to stay calm.
    katskelington

Answer by katskelington at 1:57 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I think my DD had colic from 3-8 wks. It was never diagnosed but she cried all the time. I wanted to go insane. I wore her in a wrap and that really helped but she needed constant movement, so I'd have to wear her and walk around or bounce on a yoga ball. I was so exhausted all the time. I also took a bath with her around the time that it'd be really bad in the evenings. That sort of helped. I never thought she'd get better, but around 8 wks. she calmed down a lot. She's still a hyper, fussy baby at 4 mos. but she's nowhere near as bad as she was. Hang in there, it will def. stop soon.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Oh yeah, also, sometimes at night when she'd be going nuts, we'd have to put her in her crib and let her cry for 10 or 20 mins. Once we'd pick her up she was way calmer. SOmetimes it's the only solution, but it is very hard.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2009