How can i get my 10 month old to eat better and eat more finger foods???

i am a first time mommy and my little boy is almost 10 months old and i am having a hard time with feeding him. i cant get him to eat veggies and am at a lost for what his solid feeding schedule should be. I can not get him to try anything new and if he doesnt like it he will gag really bad and i just want to make sure he is getting what he needs so i would really really appreciate any ideas or meal ideas or any advice anyone has for me.... thanks

mommybradshaw

Asked by mommybradshaw at 9:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• my DD was a very picky eater thank God for gerber pasta pick ups!

deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 10:33 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• You just have to keep offering the foods. Let him feed himself as much as possible, it will be messy but he has to learn somehow. When kids are starting to eat tablefoods, they have to get used to all the new textures and tastes so it takes a lot of times before they really know if they like something or not. Ask his doc what type of schedule he should be on. At 10 months, my son was on all tablefoods and 2% milk. Kids this age will not starve, they will get the nutrients needed from the foods they are eating. As long as he is growing at a steady rate, he is fine.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:18 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Understand that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). It can take up to a dozen tries for a baby to try new foods. Here are a few suggestions: avocado, banana, zucchini, baked sweet potato, cooked beans and lentils.
    Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The very best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their parents is Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find a copy at your local library; there is also great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 12:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2009