Post-partum poop?

I've heard so many women say that pooping after delivery was terrible...for themselves, not the baby. Why is this? The stitches? Constipation?

I'm scared, lol.

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 9:58 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Just make sure you take stool softener. Your colon muscles are capable of expelling enough poop to keep you comfy, so you dont have to push much. I was more scared than i needed to be with my first poo after birth. Funny.. i dont remember much about pregnancy and delivery - but i do remember being afraid to poop.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 10:06 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I could poop I was just scared to because of my stitches. I held it in for almost 2 weeks and it was horrible to get it out. SORRY TMI.
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• it's simply cause there's a lot "going on downthere" lol you have to think about all the pressure you put onto that specific area in order to push your baby out, that's also why in most cases you "poop" when you give birth.
    i delievered both of my kids naturally and i wouldn't say it was difficult after giving birth. it might feel a bit different and i know in some cases you might have issues but they help you out and the nurses make sure you are "good to go".
    trisandkksmom

Answer by trisandkksmom at 10:02 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• @owensmama i can't believe you held it for that long lol i honestly never delievered here in the states i had both of my kids in germany while we were stationed there, but the nurses there checked on me a couple of times every day to make sure i could go, and on the second day they said if i couldn't go they had to give me something 'cause it's important to check if everything is still "functioning" correctly lol
    trisandkksmom

Answer by trisandkksmom at 10:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Ok...this is gross but you need to know haha. My son was like a week old and I was breastfeeding. I was at my mom's and it finally it me that I had to go! I was already feeding my son so I had to go to the bathroom and seriously was in there for like ten minutes trying to get it out. I thought that it was never going to happen and I was gunna die. The next couple BM's after that sucked almost just as bad. After that it's no big deal.

But yeah...it SUCKED.
    ours

Answer by ours at 10:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• hit**** me
    ours

Answer by ours at 10:05 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Oh, honey.
    Ohhhh, honey, honey, honey.
    For the first three weeks or so post partum, if you would have looked up constipation in the dictionary, my pale, sleep-deprived face would be beside it.

I was MISERABLE. I forgot all about it until just now! I sat on the toilet and cried for literally hours waiting to have a bowel movement. I took laxatives, stool softeners, you name it, I took it. I had a second degree tear, but it was nowhere near my...ahem...exit. But the pressure from pushing alone made me want to scream.

Oh, and I had hemherroids for the first time in my life during that time.

*shudder*

Oh...what memories. Uck. Makes me want to get my tubes tied.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:11 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Yeah, and FEAR plays *SUCH* a huge role in that first post partum poop. Even if you didn't tear, you're scared something will pop out of place just because you're so sore. Oi, I can feel it now, even today, six months later. @#$)#*!@!$#!!!! Mother Nature is a bitch.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• my first poop was like a week post partum. it was seriously the size of a baseball and hard as a rock. this is nasty but I had my mother go to the store (the father wasn't in the pic) she got something that was supposed to "eat" the poop and make it easier to pass. it softened it just enough that I was able to dig it out. I had to wrap my finger and actually pick at the poop til it broke enough I could push the last of it out... it hurt worse than labor!
    chases_mommy

Answer by chases_mommy at 10:22 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• The best advice I got was this. Get some disposable gloves and when you have to poop, put on a glove and use your hand to "hold" yourself together down there. I had a few stitches, but the last thing you want to do is pop a stitch trying to poop. It's gross and messy with the bleeding, so you for sure want to wear a glove, but by holding my perineum together and not having to worry about ripping anything open made it so much easier to go. It's just one less thing to have to worry about. I was never consitpated, but I did take the stool softeners, try and eat lots of fiber. Just do everything you can to make it easier on yourself. But I recommend the gloves and holding yourself to every pregnant woman I know, it made a big difference in my attitude about going which can be half the battle.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:26 PM on Jul. 1, 2009