what is so disgusting about breastfeeding?

a friend of mine said she thinks bf'ing is disgusting and gross and nobody should do it since we now have formula(i EBF) and ive read on here lots of ppl think that way...i know this will probably start drama(which i really am not trying to do,but i know how ppl r) but i really want to know,to the ppl who think bf'ing is gross or that women should cover or hide it and those who never wanted to try bf'ing...what exactly about it do u think is gross? or why?...and i just wanted to add,plz no fighting,we r all adults here and i just want honest answers

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I can't believe when women say that. they sound so selfish and ignorant. It's completely natural to breastfeed. Not to mention, it is BY FAR the best and healthiest option for your baby. I think it's actually kind of selfish if a mother doesn't even TRY to breastfeed. It's one thing if they can't produce milk or for other medical reasons, but if they just don't want to do it, I don't get it.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• how dumb, breastmilk is THE BEST out there, no formula can keep up with it, no matter how good they're saying their products are! and holy cow, how is breast feeding disgusting???? your friend's kind of shallow, does she even have kids of her own??? what better bond could there be between a new mother and her baby than breast feeding???? how pathetic lol
    trisandkksmom

Answer by trisandkksmom at 10:09 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• slapdrama starter.  You question has no basis.  If someone thinks it's disgusting that is their own personal opinion... so be it.  Who cares?  You can't force your opinion on anyone else.

Anonymous

• Honestly, if someone is so immature that they actually believe BFing is "gross" or "disgusting" and that everyone should just formula feed-then they really need to get a life and realize that BFing is one of the most natural actions in this world! I partially breastfeed (not by choice!) , and I try harder and harder everyday to get back to only breastfeeding. I would love to be able to EBF!!! If someone has the God given ability to BF then they should be doing it!!! BFing IS WHATS BEST FOR YOUR BABY! I understand that some mamas aren't able to BF, but not doing it because you thinks it disgusting is just being selfish! And I proudly BF in public! I cover up while BFing in public out of respect, but I will not stop BFing in public!-My baby has to eat too! I think its gross the way some people eat, but I don't tell them to hide their face! - Or to go eat somewhere else! Sorry for the rant. lol. I'm just really passionate!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 10:13 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• omg how chicken shit to call someone a drama starter and do so anonymous lmao i think everyone has the right to ask a question right? the ppl calilng out others to be drama starters and crap like that, just because they don't HAVE a real opinion to begin with, those kinds are the ones we DON'T need in here!
    trisandkksmom

Answer by trisandkksmom at 10:15 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Some women find it uncomfortable to see a woman BFing bc it exposes part of the woman's body that is normally kept covered. These women have been brain-washed into thinking that a woman's breasts are exclusively used to arouse men, and have forgotten that they have another important purpose as well. I think it is a societal failing on our part to not recognize this part of a woman's body as natural and beautiful. We are one of a few societies that has this hang up, and it dates back to Victorian times when the wealthy affluent women did not BF bc it would "ruin their figure" and instead had other women do it for them. It was considered low-class to BF at that point and I think a part of our society has held onto that idea, and it is very sad.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 10:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I have heard some woman feel like it is disgusting because to them the breast is only a sexual object. If that is the woman's feelings, I think it is sad that society and her life experiences have given her that mindset. She is truly missing out on something (as is her child).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:17 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I don't know anyone who thinks breastfeeding is disgusting. I think it's wonderful and natural. However, that doesn't mean I want to see your naked boob while I'm enjoying a meal at a restaurant. That doesn't mean that I view the breast ENTIRELY as a sexual object. It just means that I think modesty is a good thing.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Why are you friends with this person? Even my friends who exclusively FF their babies don't have a problem with me nursing my 18 month old. Someone like that must have some serious issues about their own sexuality and/or body image. I feel sorry for them but I won't allow them into my life.
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 10:31 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Anyone who thinks breastfeeding is disgusting is SEVERLY immature. Any mature adult will agree that breasts are MADE specifically to feed our young...society created all the others "reasons" for breasts. I think all mothers should at least give breastfeeding a try. If it doesn't work out, for whatever reason, than at least you can say you attempted it. Its those that don't even want to try it that I don't understand. How would you ever know what breastfeeding is like if you never even bother to try? You are depriving your baby of the best thing you could ever give him/her by your selfish attitude and backwards view of breasts. I am pregnant with my first and I, like many other mothers-to-be out there, have some reserves about breastfeeding, but I will absolutely try my best at it, and if it works than great! If not, well, I will still be proud that I tried it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2009