High Grade Squamous Intraepithelial Lesion

So I went to the doctor for my 6 week post partum check-up and they did the usual pap smear. My dr called me the next week and said my pap came back abnormal and said it was a low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion. So he wanted to do a colposcopy to see if there was anything that needed to be biopsied. There was and he took samples and ran the tests. It came back as a high grade s.i.l.which means they are precancerous cells. He said that I had two options-to freeze and remove the area from my cervix or do a different procedure that he recommended and had a higher success rate. So I opted for that. He said it was called a cone biopsy d&c. I am going out of state for 3 months and have to wait until I come back to have it done. Has anyone else ever had H.G.S.I.L? and I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this procedure done and did everything get removed successfully?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Health

• A cone biopsy can be pretty invasive. Mine was treated with a LEEP. I would do some research and be sure that a cone is really necessary. I am not sure if you are done having children or not, but a cone biopsy and pregnancy could weaken the cervix increasing risk of miscarriage and preterm labor.

I personally just had my LEEP a week ago, so I don't know how effective it has been.

Good Luck!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jul. 2, 2009