my baby is too heavy to lift, suggestions?

he is 7 months old and weight about 25lbs. it is really starting to not only hurt my back but now i am getting extreme breast pain a few mins after i lift him. my husband has back problems and is limited to what he can do. would a walker or anything be able to help us out? im not sure if he is ready for one, is there a different way of lifting him that were not aware of ? any advice would be helpful

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't lift with your back. What I mean is ..
    From floor .. Squat down, lift him into standing position, get your arm under him and hold him close as you use your legs to lift. That will save your back greatly.
    From the crib .. stand him up, get your arm under him and lift with your arms and not your back.

He should be fine to be in a jumper or walker. My son started using his jumper at around 5-6 months. If your son can hold his head up, sit assisted, then he'll be fine in a walker or jumper.

That's my advice..
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My son is 19 pounds at almost 7 months. Over the months it seems like the weight gain is so gradual that I'm used to it and it's not a big deal unless he's in the car seat and I've got other things to carry. Is he showing any signs of crawling? Can he sit up? As far as around the house you don't need to be carrying him everywhere. He should start to become a little more independent soon and you can leave him with safe toys, or to play on his belly. Outside the house I would bring everything out to the car first (including car seat) and start the car to cool it off. Then bring your baby out so that's all that you have to carry and put him in the car seat.

Honestly I think the car seat just makes it so much harder to carry them around. I've got no problem holding my son for short periods of time. Now that doesn't mean I'm guna walk around the mall without a stroller for a couple hours haha. That's just nuts.
    ours

Answer by ours at 11:04 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• are you bending over or down to pick him up? Bending over puts way more pressure on your back, bend down then pick him up. But like the PP said you shouldn't be carrying him all over the place anymore he's 7 months. A walker might not be a bad idea.
    Anonymous

• I am a mother of a 3.5 month old daughter , although i have over 8 years of childcare experiences . Try the walker to see how that works . Also , try some belly time with your child and see if it's safe enough to leave him with some of his favorite toys
    I do agree with the last two comments !
    FD318

Answer by FD318 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Walkers don't help babies to walk...indeed they can delay walking. They are also dangerous.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Walker dont delay walking my daughter took her 1st steps at 8 months and at 10months she goes pretty much everywhere walking. I would try the walker but make sure he gets plenty of floor time too.
    penguinqueengi

Answer by penguinqueengi at 2:23 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I have the same problem....lol My daughter is almost 8 months old and 19 lb. and what I try to do is get on the floor with her as much as I can and play and when I can't I will put her in her stroller when we go places. Not always will the babies like the stroller but at least sometimes to help with the back pain.
    samaras-mommy

Answer by samaras-mommy at 4:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2009