How do you handle a temper tantrum in a resturant?

My 17 month old was shrieking her head off because I wouldn't let her eat chips... she was screaming her head off and she wouldn't listen when we told her to stop. It was pretty embarressing! What do other CM's do?

Asked by msp12r at 12:22 AM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If my kids start screaming anywhere my husband or I take them outside and wait until they are done. Ask for crackers next time chips are ordered so she isnt left watching everyone eat, or even bring your own suprise (fruit snacks, cheerios)she'll feel special and hopefully wont cause a scene!

Answer by dstny1998 at 1:13 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Well the first thing is,were other people eating the chips in front of her? I totally agree with you about a 17 month old not having chips. They are unhealthy and can be dangerous BUT a 17 month old child isn't going to understand that. If we go to a Mexican resturant where the chips are already put on the table we try to move them out of view and or keep her preoccupied with her snacks.
    This is what I do:
    -If she is not easily calmed or distracted with something such as her snack on the table than I will get up and we'll walk outside for a second or walk to the bathroom and back, anything to get her calmed so that she is not disturbing other's meals.

Being a toddler is really fustrating because they do not know how to communicate their wants and needs. People are guessing what they want and doing things they don't understand which results in toddler tantrums. It's all apart of the age and will pass. Just hang in there mama!

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 12:35 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Oh I have been there, it is soo embarrassing when your children rip fits in front of people or in public places, I try to conjole my kids out of the fit, yes I would have given in to the chips, a little wont hurt, and it would have saved face, but I will leave a public place if they don't stop because I don't think it is fair to the other patrons. I have also *gasp* taken my son into the bathroom, and he has had to talk to the hand. Problem resolved.

Answer by ProudMammaBear at 1:10 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I just had this problem the other day, when I had JUST MET some of my girlfriends extended family. My son was screaming because he wanted my iced tea (he likes to put things in it) so I took him outside, and we looked at some cars (he's fascinated by them) and once he calmed down I took him back inside, and thankfully there was some food for him to snack on.

Answer by babydollbabe at 1:46 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• i always bring her something to keep her buisy just incase.

Answer by SamsMom125 at 2:31 AM on Jun. 22, 2008