tearing? ouch!

My mil told me that she torn when she had her first son.And I heard a lady talking to the doctor-which I asked the doctor afterward-that olive oil worked for you not to tear,is that true? You're suppose to put it around the "hole" (sorry if thats tmi) and it wont tear,my doctor said she has never seen any1 doing it and wasn't sure if it worked.But I was wondering if any of yall have tore while giving birth,was there something you could of done to prevent it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ya have a smaller baby ! or a c section.. or ask them to cut ya so you dont tear
    Anonymous

• i tore in 3 places w/ my 1st & totally ripped open w/ my 2nd. so if i were you i would try anything & everything...
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 11:21 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• with my first one i put lotion down there every day since 8 weeks preggo and i didnt tear at all (10lb baby) and i didnt do that with my second because i was in and out of the hospital and they wouldnt let me and i had to get 12 stitches (7lbs 10oz baby)
    Anonymous

• what kind of lotion do you put down there? wont it hurt?
    Anonymous

• I tore very bad and my doc had even cut but I guess it wasn't enough. I've heard that there things that you can do, i've never really heard of the oil thing but I would try them just in case. The more prepared you are the easier it will al be, and possibly less painful.
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 11:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I've read that perinial massages starting weeks before delivery can help reduce the risk of tearing but nothing is guaranteed to work. It all depends on your body, the size of your baby, and the angle of delivery. If you plan on getting an epidural you won't feel it if you tear or have to get an episiotomy. I will tell you that most women do end up with stitches, but it actually isn't as bad as it sounds. They'll give you plenty of witch hazel at the hospital and that stuff works wonders.
    Anonymous

• I was so terrified of tearing, it was actually my worst fear of the entire birth process. When my son was born I was completely unaware of anything down there at all (I did have an epidural though). With my daughter I had a completely natural birth (because she came too fast) all except for the doctor saying "wait! Don't push, I'm going to need to do an episiotomy!" He put some numbing stuff on and did it really fast, I didn't even notice any pain. It was the most painful part of recovery, so I would try things that might help avoid it, but don't worry about it.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I don't think that sounded as reasurring as I meant it to. I didn't want to make it sound like tearing or having an episiotomy was nothing because it was uncomfortable to heal from afterwards, but what I mean is I didn't feel it happen either time, and that is what I was really afraid of.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Tearing is very common in America because our women give birth on their backs. That puts ALL the baby's weight and pressure on your pereneum. If at all possible, stay upright during labor and deliver in an upright position. Push the head out slowly to give your tissues time to stretch. Ask your doctor to provide pereneal massage during the pushing phase of your labor. Labor in a tub. Use hot compresses. EAT WELL. Walk a lot.

Evidence shows that tears heal better than episiotomies and have a lower rate of tearing again in subsequent births. I had a pretty major tear with my daughter (gave birth on my back, didn't labor upright, didn't eat well etc) and I dont even have any noticable scar tissue down there. It was a difficult recovery, though, so avoid it if you can. You can massage it at home with olive oil or have your partner help you. CONT
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• Place two fingers about an inch inside the vagina and kind of swoop them around down toward your anus. Put lots of pressure because the muscles there are strong and need to be worked on to relax. Be gentle at first and continue until you feel a slight burning sensation due to your tissues stretching. Keep at it.

Also, do lots of kegals and practice REALLY relaxing your pelvic floor. Kegals will improve circulation and improve your chances of not tearing and being able to relax your pelvic floor during pushing will help you avoid tears as well.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:56 PM on Jul. 1, 2009