does it hurt to stop breastfeeding?

I'm going to stop breastfeeding once my son is 1 year old, which is in a month. I didnt talk to my doc yet about stopping, but i was wondering if they give you any medication or pain management for when you stop breastfeeding. how many days does it hurt for? and rememdies for pain? thank you in advance for any advice.

Heather9613

Asked by Heather9613 at 11:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's kind of like when you first got your milk in. What happened with me is I got an infection and was really sick for only one day after I had been breastfeeding for three months. It drastically lowered my supply. I knew because I started pumping after the first month because during those long nights at first I'd wake up so tired that I just started letting him latch however and it hurt soooo bad that I'd want to cry.

Well anyway after that there was probably a week where I felt engorged and didn't pump at all, just took hot showers and leaned forward to relieve some of the pain. I don't know if there is any medication to help, but I didn't think it was that bad to stop. You probably have more of a supply now that your babies closer to one year though.
    ours

Answer by ours at 11:24 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• When you wean gradually like nature had in mind you will not feel pain when you wean. You gradually eliminate feedings, one at a time, waiting a week or so before dropping the next feeding. When you are down to only one feeding a day, and drop that feeding, you should have little or no engorgement/discomfort.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I agree with maggiemom2000. I did that with my son and had no problems. Good luck.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 12:39 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Gradual weaning is the best bet for both mom and baby. If you just say the day he turns one that he cannot have breast anymore it will be very traumatic on him and also cause you to be engorged and uncomfortable for a few days and risk infection which can be a long process to heal from. They no longer give medication to dry you up since they found there were too many bad side effects from it and took it off the market. The WHO and AAP actually recommend nursing a minimum of 2 years though so you may want to reconsider weaning or at least do it gradually. Drop one feeding a day for 3 days and then drop another feeding for 3 days until he just doesn't nurse anymore. Save his favorite feedings (before nap and bed for example) for the last ones to be dropped.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:46 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Let him lead the weaning naturally. It won't hurt at all.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 9:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• It only hurts if you do it to fast, because then you get engorged. I did it slowly (my DD was about 15.5 months old when I started). I just dropped one feeding every 3 days until all that was left was the naptime feeding and the bedtime feeding. Then I dropped the naptime feeding for a week. Then I dropped the bedtime feeding. The first two nights were rough for my DD, but by the third night everything was ok. I never had any discomfort at all.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• When my breasts were engorged with milk they ached, but other then that they didn't hurt. I toughed it out, because it wasn't unbearable for me. Some women it hurts worst, I hear. I was told if it was unbearable that warm/hot compresses helped ease the pain.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2009