does it hurt to stop breastfeeding?

I'm going to stop breastfeeding once my son is 1 year old, which is in a month. I didnt talk to my doc yet about stopping, but i was wondering if they give you any medication or pain management for when you stop breastfeeding. how many days does it hurt for? and rememdies for pain? thank you in advance for any advice.

Heather9613

Asked by Heather9613 at 11:19 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It doesn't hurt at all if you take your time weaning. If you just stop one day then I think it may hurt but I cut down on feedings over a manner of months so when I finally stopped I hardly noticed a thing.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 11:23 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• It didnt hurt me at all. Just be sure you gadually wean, it may take more than a month. You will want to replace one feeding at a time. Otherwise you and him are going to be very unhappy if you cut it cold turkey. Once your down to one feeding a day for a while, your body adjusts accordingly and you just dont offer it anymore. No pain at all. I didnt even notice anything.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• The best way to wean is by dropping one daily feeding per week. If you're nursing 4 times a day, this will take about a month. Then it shouldn't hurt at all. If you quit cold turkey, you'll get engorged, which is painful, and you may get mastitis, which is horrifyingly painful. If you want to wean quicker than that, you can probably drop a feeding every 3 or 4 days instead, but I wouldn't go any quicker than that.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:15 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Wean slow, no pain. Fast weaning isn't a good way to go...and no, there;s nothing they give you. Tylenol's it.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:38 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I highly suggest slowly weaning, my daughter weaned herself, one day she just wouldn't take breast anymore and then it turned into days and then a week and the whole time I was in so much pain! I was lopsided too, :) One was bigger than the other because she favored my right, I didn't go out very much until the swelling went down :(

HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 6:41 AM on Jul. 2, 2009