pregnancy and high blood pressure meds??

after having my daughter i have developed high blood pressure and i so much want another child and i was just wondering if anyone has had a child while taking high blood pressure meds and was there any complications etc.....thanks

skyes_mom07

Asked by skyes_mom07 at 11:40 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• BP meds are not recommended during pregnancy, but sometimes the benefits outweigh the risks (birth defects, miscarriage and stillbirth, just like with every medicine not recommended during pregnancy) and you take them anyway.

What you should be doing now is working on lowering your blood pressure before becomming pregnant again. If you are overweight, work on getting your BMI down a little (even 10 pounds can take your BP down to normal). If you're sedentary, take a walk every evening after dinner and do a little yoga first thing in the morning. Start meditating. Start eating really healthy including at least 100 grams of protein and salt to taste (as long as you're eating fresh foods, not prepared!) Eat lots of fruits and veggies. Check out www.blueribbonbaby.org for tips on how to eat well during pregnancy to avoid BP issues. BP problems in pregnancy and after are different, so talk to your doc about how to lower it
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 1, 2009

• I got pregnant unexpectedly.. as in after 7 yrs of infertility,stillborn, adoption, etc. I was diagnosed with hypertension during the adoption process and was put on meds. In addition to hypertension I also have a heart condition that further aggravates it. I was on meds 2x a day for one of my meds and 4x a day for another one. This was done by my high risk team of 5 docs.
    In addition to the hypertension and Mitral Valve Prolapse, I had GD and then at the end Pre-Eclampsia. Due to my health I had a c-section at 34 w 3 days.
    Definitely speak with your doctor.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:01 AM on Jul. 2, 2009