If being saved by Jesus is a requirement to get to heaven then...

What happened to the people who lived before Jesus's time? Or those who never heard of Jesus through no fault of their own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Jul. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• In the Old Testament, before Jesus' time, they offered a living sacrifice (an animal) in place of themselves to cover their sin. Hence when Jesus was crucified he was the last living sacrifice, his blood covered all our sin.
    For your second part of your question, I have often wondered that myself. But God is a just God, if they never heard of Jesus then I am sure He has a plan for them and has not condemned them to hell because of it. There is nothing they could do about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Jesus saved them after he died and on the third day he rose again in fulfilment of the scriptures.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I believe if a person has never heard of Jesus or they do not have the mental capacity to make such a decision then they are not held accountable for that level of belief. They are only expected to believe what they are able to through the signs of nature and creation, in the case of the one who doesn't know who Jesus is, or to the level they are capable of, in the person that has some form of mental impairment.
    For example, my twins have developmental delays, they are chronologically 11 but developmentally about 7 or 8. As a parent I expect behavior and learning on the level they are at. God is just and expects the same of them.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:53 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• According to the Word of God... when He died he went to Hades to preach there and those that believed went with Him.. ( I tend to believe they all did ) . He freed them and they rose with him to Heaven and are now in Glory forever.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• It is most Christians belief that the dead will go up with the living believers at the second coming. There God will judge all on what they have done and the ones that died without knowing Christ will be asked if they are believers in Christ. That is why the 1000 year reign is so important. Many will say they will follow Jesus but once Satan is let out again there will be many who will follow Satan instead, which is amazing to me because they will have had the chance to actually see God and Jesus and talk with them.

Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'm seeing some different answers to this question. So does this mean that the people in question are actually spending time in hell, untill given an opportunity to know him? Or does it mean that these people were able to go to heaven anyways, since they weren't given the opportunity to know him in the first place?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jul. 2, 2009