Breach baby- Home birth

I was just watchng a show profiling a mother who didnt know she was pregnant with twins.... they did a home birth, obviously naturally and the baby was breach. If she could do it, why is it that doctors give up so easily when they are the ones who are supposed to have experience? Instead they insist or make you think you need an emergency c-section.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Most doctors actually don't know how to deliver a breech baby. They don't teach that any more. Doctors are told that the way to deliver a breech baby is by c-section. So that's what they tell you. They don't want to admit that it's not so much that it's dangerous as that it's out of their area of expertise. Midwives still do learn the art of breech delivery.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:10 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• A mom cannot sue herself but if something were to go wrong with a breech delivery at a hospital you know dam* well that, that mom would sue in a heartbeat. Doctors do c-sections more now because of the risk associated with "waiting" and all the sue happy moms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• They dont even attempt it. You cant really blame the doctor for something going wrong because YOUR baby isnt facing the right way. Are they going to force you if you want to try it naturally first?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• It is a hard delivery when the baby is breech and so many things can go wrong. Doctors want to get a baby out as quickly as the can to prevent fetal distress or complications with mother or child.Just because one woman did it certainly doesn't make it safe for others.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 12:37 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I was just watching that! With twins, I think that is way too dangerous. I think it just depends on the doctor and how much they are willing to work with you. If attempting to spin the baby didn't work, I would probably still go with the c-section. I wouldn't be able to look at myself if I took the chance and something awful happened.
    ours

Answer by ours at 12:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Well my midwife (hospital delivery) was more then happy to let me vaginally deliver my butt first breech, but not a footling breech. My son ended up turning the night before I went into labor so didn't even come up. Doctor's feel labor is a medical PROBLEM that needs to be treated even if it is a normal delivery so of course when any small thing is off they make it even more of a big deal. Midwives only deliver babies and don't do all the other surgeries and stuff that have nothing to do with pregnancy and birth so I personally feel they are better equipped and trained to handle those things.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:42 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Most OBs aren't even formally trained in delivering a breach baby, while they are given thorough training in C-sections. OBs are trained surgeons. It's a problem.

However, c-sections can save lives, too. I wouldn't be here without them, and neither would my 2 daughters.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:02 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My doctor attends breech vaginal births all the time, its a variation of normal. The reason that American doctors don't do it is lawsuits and they are not trained to do it..breech birth means hands off for the doctor/midwife..those twins that were born in that show were better off being born at home unassisted than they would have been in an American hospital setting.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:23 AM on Jul. 2, 2009