Would you?

If you have a child or children with a handicapp or disorder, and if it would be likley that a new baby would have the same problems would you ttc? I am not pregnant nor am I in this situation....JW

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yep, my oldest has a severe reading/comprehension and speech disorder and recently, at almost 18, diagnost with bi-polar. My 5 year old DD was born with one kidney (multi dysplastic kidney) and my 7 year old son has ADHD, and I am pregnant with #8.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:25 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• say....a child was born with a disease.....that would be very likely to continue with more children....and the disease was not something that could be controlled or treated.....why would you have kids if you knew they would suffer?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• my 2nd child is handicapped. My third child is not. My third child is the "best thing" I could have ever done for my handicapped child. Its hard to explain, but since he was born, she has blossomed! When he started crawling, she wanted to crawl too... when he started walking, she watched him and then she started to try to walk too!! They are best buds.... and he watches out for her (even though he is younger, she is smaller, so he thinks that he is the "big" brother)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I guess it would depend on how severe the disorder was and the odds of my next child getting it. If it was a mild disorder that could be easily handled and controlled and didn't greatly affect their quality of life, than yes I would have another. But if it was something severe to where my child required special everything all the time and their quality of life was greatly affected my the disorder, than no I don't think I would have another. I would be too afraid to bring another child into the world that would have such a hard time getting through life.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:56 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My friends oldest child has downs, the other 5 younger children do not. There are couples who adopt nothing but special needs kids. I guess it would depend on what type of person I am, how strong a parent I am. I will love each of my children no matter what...but I would not wish delays or special needs on any child. I think it would be a lot of soul searching on my part.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2009