Would you keep your 1 year old and 2 year old away from relatives who keep getting MRSA? Would you and your family stay at their house while on vacation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Health

• Would I keep my entire family away (not just my kids)? YES.

Would I stay at their home? NO.

They keep getting a highly drug resistant bacteria. For which they have to take very powerful drugs. Which the bacteria is getting more resistant to everyday they take those drugs. I would offer them what help I could but I would expect them to fully understand my not wanting to expose my own family to the same drugs and danger.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Yes I would absolutely not go anywhere near anyone who keeps getting MRSA. And no I would not stay at their house either. MRSA is VERY VERY contagious. I had a high school teacher who got it and she missed 4 months out of the school year because she kept getting it and the school wouldn't let her come back until she got complete clearance from a doctor. Its sad to keep kids away from family, but if their health could be in jeopardy than that is my number one priority.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:51 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I had to google MRSA... I didn't know what that was. Now that I know....

Would I keep my entire family away (not just my kids)? YES!

Would I stay at their home? NO!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:05 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I would not stay at their home, and I too would keep my entire family away. It would be really tough for me if it was my parents because I'm so close to them and see them often. However, my parents would be concerned and wouldn't want us to get it either. I'm pregnant and my mom has a cold and even though I went to her house, she was scared to get too close to me bc she didn't want me to get sick. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:07 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• We have had a lot of experience with MRSA. My father died from MRSA pneumonia. The kids were not allowed to touch him or hug him.
    My brother in law contracted MRSA after surgery. He fought it for two years and is found now to be a carrier. My father in law lives with him and is also now fighting it. He is diabetic so it is more dangerous for him as well. We try to be really careful but it is still risky. We wash our hands with straight alcohol after being there and we don't go if they are actively having an infection.
    Look into colloidial silver for treatment and prevention. YES, I would keep my kids away. YES I would stay at the house. (We have older kids and they have rules.) If my kids were little NO WAY.
    If there is an actual outbreak, keep your kids away.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:13 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• But you also have to weigh this..if this is an elderly or infirm person, this infection may persist a long time. You have to weigh wether or not you will get to see them again. We had to keep my kids away from my dad. It broke my heart.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:15 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:18 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My daughter actually contracted MRSA and spent 4 days in the hospital with an IV drip, poor girl. Forutanly for us it was conceled with her diaper but also unfortunatly it was conceled with her diaper. They had to do a mini surgery on her to get it to drain and we had to wear gloves to change her diaper. She is better now. After watching what she went through and how horrible it was for her and how much pain she suffered on a daily basies form it. I wouldn't go anywhere near a person that I knew had it, and one that kept getting it. it means that that MRESA is getting more resesliant to the anitbotics and would be harder to get rid of. I wouldn't stay at thier house either unless i was willing to bleach clean everything before going there. Don't expose young kids to that. Its horrible.
    Joyfullyme

Answer by Joyfullyme at 1:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• You can actually die from MRSA and they were so scared that it had gotten into her blood. Had it done that, then she would have had a 20 % chance of survival IF she want on dialisis, and no chance if she didnt go on that. Thank God she got better with the medication and the mini surgery.
    Joyfullyme

Answer by Joyfullyme at 1:27 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• YES and HELL NO! After having to help my SO push puss and blood out of his leg where he got MRSA in some tick bites I never want to deal with again. It's a horrible thing to get... his leg STILL hurts from it too. That was back in like... August '08.
    nerdyma7

Answer by nerdyma7 at 2:12 AM on Jul. 2, 2009