How can I get my son to go to sleep on his own?

He will be 10 months old in a few weeks and still wakes up in the night screaming because he is alone. I have to hold him to get him to go back to sleep before laying him back down. He wakes up several times during the night. An endless cycle. I have tried laying him down before he goes into a deep sleep but he immediately awakes reaching out to me. I have tried a couple of times, allowing him to cry some, about 10 minutes, before picking him up. All it did was keep us both up longer. Is there a solution to this. How can I teach him to sleep on his own. I'm afraid it's only going to get worse as he gets older if I can't break this habit soon. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions?

tresa2steppin

Asked by tresa2steppin at 12:53 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Go get a copy of "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. It will help.

In year one, it's really too much to expect a baby to spend a whole night sleeping on his own. They ALL learn how to do it when THEY are ready. What you do really makes little difference.

But the Pantley book will help you to at least be a little more effective.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:18 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My son was doing the same thing... we weren't able to fix it until a few weeks ago.
    We bought the book Solve your Child's sleep problems by Ferber and it was AMAZING!!!
    Basically you learn from the book the things that YOU are doing that are making it so your child doesn't sleep on their own. For us we were rocking and feeding to sleep and sneaking him into his crib. Once we changed our routine and did a little CIO with a well planned method in the book... he was sleeping on his own in 4 days!!! and TOTAL he only cried about 15 minutes in those 4 days! After MONTHS of night time wakings it was that easy. He has been going to sleep on his own since and sleeping through the night with no crying at all.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:57 AM on Jul. 2, 2009