What is your favorite easy money saving tip?

1. We bought clothe napkins at a discount department store that we now use daily. It has saved $20+ a month not buying paper towels. {They are just washed with dish towels so no extra cost there.}

2. Sold items we don't use anymore on Craigslist.

3. When I make spaghetti I make extra and freeze single servings in tupperware. Then on days when I don't have anything to take to work for lunch I take one. It is much cheaper than going out for lunch or buying brand name frozen meal.

Do you have any simple money saving tips that are working well for your family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I stay home, lol. It works. I have learned how to cook, bake, and make alot of my own cleaning supplies. I have started selling the clothes that we are either tired of, or have outgrown on ebay. I buy furniture from second hand stores, give them a fresh coat of paint (in my own colors), and thoroughly enjoy them. I always make double batches of our favorites (from spaghetti & soups, to pancakes) so that we have no excuse to want to eat out (mostly for me, because sometimes Ijust don't want to cook).

We entertain ourselves with games, crafts, the computer, and doing activities outside.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:21 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I guess I would have to go with laundry. It's what I love to do the most, but I find myself wanting to wash the clothes and towels as soon as one hits the dirty clothes basket. So, I am trying to break this habit I have and cut down to two loads a week.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:14 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I look for clearance when shopping for cloths, I buy brand names for cheap.
    If I see someting on sales and I use it everyday I stock up on it.
    at the grocery store I buy my spices in the bulk section it's cheaper
    I always look online at the grocery adds before I go to the store so I can compare price
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:25 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• We do a lot of comparison price shopping, barbecue a lot of foods (even in winter months) to cut the costs of using the electric oven, we switched to those energy efficient bulbs, we shop at thrift stores and off clearance racks before we look at regularly priced clothing, we use as many coupons as possible only for the items we actually purchase, and we try to use home remedies for things (cleaning, diaper rash, colds, etc) before we have no choice but to buy something stronger from the store.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• This is kind of ghetto.... but we visited a time share presentation to get a free hotel stay. The presentation was 90 min and not that painful. My DH and I had agreed on our NO's in advance.
    As a gift for attending we got a 7 night stay anywhere continental US. It was not that convenient to book, but in the end it is what we are using for our summer vacation. We can afford a week since we only have to pay for food and travel.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jul. 2, 2009