• In the Spotlight:

Why would you ever get into the position where you couldn't take care of yourself?

I really don't understand women who let themselves get into the position of not being able to take care of their own. Seriously. Life isn't all about being taken care of by a man, get some work experience, get an education, that's what I say!

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 1:14 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• BTW my father-in-law said I was really odd and man-ish because I didn't want to be a stay at home parent. WTF?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:19 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• well i'm a SAHM and i'll say its not about who takes care of who, i don't have a college degree working on getting one, i do have about 8 yrs work experience but mostly in retail and restaurant industries so really i could "take care of myself" if i absolutely had to but i'd be working alot of overtime to do so. right now its about what makes more sense, and with the cost of childcare and the jobs that i qualify for, my income would go to daycare.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:21 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I must be odd and mannish too. Staying home was boring for me.

My mother drilled it into me that I needed to be able to care for myself. And I've always been able to.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:21 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• yep, like PP, ALL my income would go to day care bills. It makes NO sense for me to work when it would cost so much to hire someone else to raise my kids for me..
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:23 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Oh... and BTW, just because I don't put my kids in day care and take a job, does not mean I can't take care of myself.
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 1:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Well some women like to stay at home with their baby's! If I ended up having to take care of myself and my 4 DDs than I know I could cuz I did it for 8 years but I like staying at home. I do agree women need to know how to take care of their selvesif they had to though, but so do men! There are alot of men out there that depend on their girlfriend/wife also!

SD777

Answer by SD777 at 1:28 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Way to assume. Just because I choose to stay home with my kids doesn't mean anything. I can support myself and my kids. Just so happens I am doing what is really important to me and my family. Each woman walks her own path. You are taking a different one.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:30 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I finished technical school and I'm a certified dental assistant, I worked with my first son until we decided to get pregnant with our second child. After a long day at work it was hard to give all the attention my son needed and wanted. So now I stay at home with both my boys and love it, I'm here for them when they need me.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:30 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Yikes, when my daughter isn't in public school the daycare bill goes up to $263 a WEEK. So I understand why you couldn't take a cheap paying job. I would seriously be depressed if I couldn't pay for their daycare on my own, which I can do. It took a long time, and quite a bit of diligence to get where I am today.

And by take care of yourself I don't mean making sure you eat and take a shower every day, just that you could pay your own rent/mortgage and food even if there wasn't a man in the picture. Sorry to stir the pot!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:32 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I don't see why when there is a divorce or separation that the woman can't just take over?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Jul. 2, 2009