What do you do with a very picky eater?

My 3 year old daughter is quite picky. The only things she will eat are chicken, porkchops, pizza( though we pick that up maybe 1 or 2 times a month), a spinach salad that her daddy makes her, and that is about it. I give her vitamins to supplement what she doesn't get. I've tried making her eat what is given, and will put her down and wait to try again, but she will just not eat it, even if she skips a meal, she still will not eat it. She hates beef and fish beyond compare. Just wanted to see if there were other mammas out there with similar problems.

Sarah2116

Asked by Sarah2116 at 1:35 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son has gotten picky and we require him to sit there while we eat. Sometimes he will try it and other times not. If he doesn't eat some of it, he gets it for the next meal. Eventually he eats it! He won't let himself starve. I never fix him something different then us, but if he tries everything I will not make him eat it all.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Actually what you have described is great. :) If you feel you need more options, set up a one meal rule. Mom makes one meal. If you don't like it you don't have to eat it, but you are welcome to make yourself a sandwich (always the same kind..peanut butter or cheese..something boring.)
    If you keep this rule CONSISTANT, it will pay off over time.
    I have one with a sensory disorder and this really helped us.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:52 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My husband and I do the same thing, she is just very willfull. She is just one of those kids that no matter how many times you make her try it or make her eat it, she just will not eat it. Our 5 year old is pretty good, and our 17 month old son is a vaccum cleaner when it comes to eating. Hopefully it is just a phase. Our 5 year old was slightly picky there for a while, but she out grew it. Ugh the things kids make us worry about, haha.
    Sarah2116

Answer by Sarah2116 at 1:53 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My almost four year old is the same way, he don't eat chicken, he eats only chicken nuggets, no beef, no pork, he eats pizza but takes everything off it, he is very pickey. I tried giving him what we eat and he didn't eat it and the next day he didn't eat it either, so while I was cleaning or doing loundry he would sneak crackers or cereal out of the pantry, he won't stay hungry but he won't eat what he don't want to eat
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• my 8 month old will eat anything you give him
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:00 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I was that picky eater. I still am the weirdest eater ever. My parents made every meal that had something that offended my senses by taste, texture or touching into a battle, and honestly, that was pretty much every meal. To this day, there is barely anyone I can eat with because of how weird I am about it. I picked my battles with my kids. They were exposed to a wide variety of foods and encouraged to try things, but there were always standards (sort of like Susie's one meal deal) to fall back on, plus I also accommodated my daughter's decision to go vegetarian at 2 because she hated the feeling of meat in her mouth. I was never a short order cook for them, but I still produced good eaters who love a variety of healthy foods -- and my daughter will even eat some meat dishes now.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:50 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Hey...will she eat homemade pizzas? Maybe one way to encourage her to try new things is to let her pick toppings she will eat plus at least one new thing and place them on her own little personal pizza. Just a few pieces so that if she really hates it, it won't be so bad to pick them off, but maybe the rule could be to try it with the new topping. This might work for other things, too -- try making a small adjustment to a favorite to help her get used to the new food within a familiar one. At three, my kids loved adding their own toppings to the bagel, biscuit, and English muffin pizzas. Helping prepare meals is something else that helps encourage toddlers and preschoolers to try new foods, too. Especially if they can taste-test ingredients along the way if the desire strikes.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:58 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My son eats even less. Picky is a relative term. What I have to remember is that I am here to provide the food it is his job to eat it. So if he doesn't eat then it is not for me to force or make him do that. It could only lead to eating disorders down the road. We don't force but we do provide. I have worked briefly with an eating specialist and we will go back to one again. Our list is just pizza, apple sauce, and yogurt. He will drink just about anything which is how we get veggitables in him. We puree veggies and add to his pizza sauce. I'm not worried about the meat portion since there are other ways to get what is needed. But it is worrisome that he does not eat much at all. He is growing, not small for his age, and is developing normal cognitive function so obviously he gets what his body needs. Same thing for your child, if she is growing and has normal age appropriate development then she is okay.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:55 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Yeah she is growing fine and doing fine developmentally. I will clarify that I'm not a short order cook. Whatever it is we are having for dinner I don't make anything else. Though I won't let a child go hungry to bed. So if by the time we are done and we have tried everything possible, she will end up getting a sandwich. Like the other day she just didn't want a hamburger, which was fine, because we are going on a year now, and she still hates beef.
    Sarah2116

Answer by Sarah2116 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Here is a healthy treat you can make together: Dad's Sneaky Pudding,Makes 2 servings
    1 1/2 cups frozen strawberries
    1 banana
    1-2 tsp. carob or cocoa powder
    2 tsp. flaxseed oil
    3-5 Tbsp. nut butter (cashew or almond)
    2-3 Tbsp. orange juice or other healthy juice such as carrot juice
    2 Tbsp. fortified soymilk (any milk)
    1/8-1/4 avocado
    Set your little companion up on a stool beside you, ready to toss in the ingredients and push the button. Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender. This works best in a food processor; you might add a bit more juice or soymilk if you use a blender. Blend until smooth.
    Kids love to dip: fruit & yogurt; veggies & hummus or salad dressing; whole wheat pasta & peanut or marinara sauce.
    I have a ton of healthy, tasty, family and budget friendly recipes; feel free to contact me for ideas.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:40 PM on Jul. 2, 2009