What causes the cornea of your eye to swell up??? (the clear jelly feel stuff of ur eye)

My eye doctor told me my cornea's were swollen it could be caused from an injury of some sort or wearing my contacts for too long while eyeballs are too dry...lol

I don't know what to make of it for now I have to stay away from contacts only wear my glasses let some time go by to see if eyeballs get better...they do feel pretty dry he told to keep them moisten. Thanks ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Health

• You could have scratched your cornea, infected your eye from wearing your contacts for longer than recommended. You can use the rewetting drops for contact wearers when your eyes are dry. My eyes do not breath very well, so get dry easily. I wear gas permeable contact lenses (really, they are hard contacts that allow the eyes to breath better). My uncle is an eye doctor so I get lectures on what horrible things can happen from not taking care of your eyes. A corneal abrasion can cause blindness or ulcers on your eyes. NEVER fool around with your eyes. Do EXACTLY what the eye doctor says. Make sure you wear your contacts as prescribed, clean them daily. IF your eyes feel really dry, take out your contacts and wear your glasses.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• allergies???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• glaucoma?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I have glaucoma and it does make your eye swell, but it's the whole eye, not just the cornea. Glaucoma is a build up of fluid in the eye which causes pressure, it's usually very painful (mine wasn't). Since you saw an eye dr (optometrist or opthamologist?) I assume he checked the pressure in your eye and it's fine. Glaucoma can be very serious, but it doesn't sound like that's what you have. Either of the reasons your dr gave you sound reasonable, but just to be on the safe side I'd ask him how your pressure is. Normal pressure in the eye is 13 - 21, mine was 55 when I was diagnosed and usually hovers around mid 30's - 50. I am now completely blind in my left eye (the right is fine thank goodness) because it was undiagnosed and is uncontrolled.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:57 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• the cornea is the covering over your eyeball (it kind of looks like plastic wrap). you probably have some mild corneal abrasion from irritation due to your contacts and your eyes being too dry (like your dr. said). just like when you get an abrasion on your skin, a corneal abrasion will be swollen and tender. some people need prescription eye drops to moisten their eyes while wearing contacts.... maybe you should talk to your dr. about that. unless you just fell asleep with your contacts in or left them in for like a few days or something lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:05 AM on Jul. 2, 2009