Is it bad to smoke and breast feed?

I have a friend who smokes after she nurses her baby she didnt smoke while pregnant and i guess all the stress caught up with her and she started again! I am constintantly on her for it but she is convinced it isnt bad if you wait an hour! I am a nursing mother as well and way curious if it is hurting her baby like it does if your pregnant! i understand its her body and baby but everyones intitled to there own opinion right! So please tell me if its right or worng?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• There is no proven fact that smoking will effect your breastmilk but you shouldn't go near your baby after smoking because 2nd hand smoke or "third hand smoke" as i also heard called. if you can smell smoke on that person then that person shouldn't be near a baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• It IS bad, just not AS bad sa smoking right before you breast feed. In an hour only HALF of the nicotine is out of your system, which means that the OTHER half will be going to your baby. It will also decrease her milk supply.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Honestly it is better to smoke and breastfeed than smoke and formula feed.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• How is it better to BF and smoke than to FF and smoke?

Just curious
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• because the breastmilk is still better than formula even if you smoke my dr said to wait 90 mins after smoking though
    mudgirl

Answer by mudgirl at 3:52 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I was told 1 hour. Smoking increases the risk of SIDS, and formula does nothing to improve that risk. breastfeeding (even if you are a smoker) helps reduce the risk of SIDS. So better to smoke and breastfeed than smoke and formula feed.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2009