Is it wrong to have a beer and nurse?

We had a get together the other night and everyone was drinking except me cause i am nursing and all the 4 women that were here were telling me its fine to have one or 2 and can even help your milk come in (not that im having a problem with that)! is this true?????

Perdy

Asked by Perdy at 1:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's fine. The amount of alcohol that gets into your milk is VERY minimal. The amount of alcohol in your bloodstream is equal to the amount in your milk. And the yeast in beer is known to help with milk production. The rule is if you are sober to drive you are sober to nurse.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:51 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Its not good for the baby. But if you do want to drink they make these little strips you can test your breast milk alcohol level. Id just pump some before you drink so the baby will have safe food. heres a website that sells the strips

http://www.breastpumpsdirect.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MS003&click=550
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Thier called Milkscreen btw
    Anonymous

• If you leave enough time for the beer to process through your system before nursing. Beer metabolises through breast milk at the same rate as through blood, so if you nurse then have a beer, wait a few hours then nurse again it is fine. But if you nurse too soon after having a drink your baby will get some alcohol. It's all about timing. And beer, especially dark beer can help with milk production.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:01 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Um yes it is ok. When I was nursing my doctor used to tell me to have a beer if I thought I didn't have enough milk. You don't have to wait either. Jeez.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• i was told it will come into the milk about 2 hours after u drink so just prepare some bottles ahead of time for the next couple of feedings
    djsmommy13

Answer by djsmommy13 at 4:04 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• pump and dump
    If I had a drink I would pump out the milk for that feeding and dump it down the drain. That is just what I did.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Safe to drive=safe to nurse. I had a beer last night. Nursed before beer and then a bit later(hour? Hour and a half?)
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 7:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2009