Have any moms had their water break in public?

It did not happen to me the first time but we plan on having a second and it is a fear I have. With our daughter, the doc had to break my water at 42 weeks. What was your experience? Where were you? What were you doing? Was it just absolutely embarassing...scarey...yucky?

averys1mama

Asked by averys1mama at 1:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• My water broke with my first when I got up from bed in the middle of the night. I was too excited to be grossed out! My 2nd and 3rd broke in the hospital.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:58 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My water broke when I stood up after sitting on my sofa. I felt a little bit of moisture but not a gush. I wasn't even sure that it had actually broken. I kind of trickled for about 23 hours, my son was born 25 hours after my water "broke" (more like tore a little...)
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 2:17 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My water didn't break in public. I was induced and then later had a c-section, but I had a friend whose water broke in McDonalds.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 6:57 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Mine had to be broken by Dr at hospital. But, I have heard that when you stand up the baby's head helps to plug up the opening of the cervix so even if your water has broke it should only be a trickle not a gush. Don't stress. I think the belly would let everyone know it was your water and not that you peed. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I was in the frozen food section at my local grocery. I was kind of disgusted because I was in the freezer section, which was semi cold and I just had a pint size rush of warm water soak my pants. I left my buggy and went to the car to call DH. I was very excited and yet extremely scared because I knew there was no turning back at this point.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 8:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• IWith my daughter, was at Sears with my mom looking at a preemie outfit and thinking it might be too small for her. We had spent the whole day shopping at that point.

It was a small gush, not a big one, and in fact, I didn't realize what it was for a few minutes. I thought it was more mucus plug coming out and when it kept coming every few minutes, I decided to go to the bathroom to see what was up.

When I got to the bathroom, my jean shorts were soaked all the way through. I wasn't sure it was my water breaking, I thought maybe I had just peed myself (I mean I was 38 weeks and my bladder was definitely weak by that point). So I spent a few minutes in there pondering if it was pee or amniotic fluid. I finally decided we should just go to the hospital to find out. So I left the bathroom and by that point my mom had already paid for the preemie outfit and we went to the hospital. We were 80ish miles (continued)
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:04 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• (continued)

from the hospital I planned on delvering at, so we went to a local hospital. Sure enough, my water had broke. I first noticed the trickles about 5:15pm and she was born at 4:15am.

Turns out that that preemie outfit was HUGE on her. But it's what she wore home from the hospital.

With my son, my water broke at home, I was sitting on the couch, and again, no big gush or puddle on the floor, just a small gush that kept coming.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:07 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My water broke in Kroger. Right next to the lobsters lol. At first I just thought it was alot of discharge. Yes lovely I know. I went to the bathroom and sure enough it just kept coming. It was enough to soke my pants but didnt like drip in the floor or anything. We actually finished shopping lol.
    fallenangel8508

Answer by fallenangel8508 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 2, 2009