My daughter babbles alot and barely says any words. How do i get my two year to talk more and say more words?

My two year old says a few words and understands alot but i can't mainly she babbles non stop how do i help her to talk or say more words?

Lysistrata98

Asked by Lysistrata98 at 4:03 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do you read to her?
    How often do you sit with her for dinner time at the table, or just sit and talk to her?
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:12 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My dd is 19 months and I had the same problem! Now I tell her to talk to me. I explain I do not understand and she needs to use words. She just last week started "talking" and now says 45! She usually grunts and such but if you make her use these words and ask her "what is that?" she will get it soon! My dd understood everything I said just like yours does. But I realized I was always saying the words for her. It's hard, and when she whines to me, I ignore her until she tells me what is wrong! We also look at flash cards and pretty much name off objects whereever we are! It really helps... you know she knows the words but just have her say them... when she gets frustrated with it, say the word and have her repeat you. Give her a week or so and she will be talking up a storm! :) GL!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:14 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Singing is also a good teaching tool. Sometimes, some children babble alot before they start seriously talking. I think that they are trying out the different sounds and deciding which ones they like to hear the most. My 2 oldest children didn't babble much. My 3rd child is 2 1/2 and has started babbling again. He did it before he started talking alot & he has recently started doing it again. He loves to hear those different nonsense words.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 4:18 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Read to her, I also sing in the car and we all talk at dinner. I really believe that reading has the biggest impact, my daughter is two-and-half now and perfect strangers can understand and communicate with her, I also tell her to use her "big girl words"... My husband teaches her Spanish and I teach her sign language, you just have to pick something a focus on it, try to learn a new word everyday, just repeat it and show her or tell her what it means. Don't be concerned though she will learn and before you know it you'll want her to stop asking so many questions :)

*I should add that my daughter babbles a lot too, we call it gibberish, she thinks she knows what she is talking about, but she is speaking in tongues we can't understand.

HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 6:39 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• SINCE TIPHANI WAS BORN I NEVER TALKED BABY TALK TO HER. I SPOKE TO HER LIKE SHE WAS MY AGE, TRY TALKING TO HER LIKE YOU WOULD TALK TO ANYONE ELSE. THEY PICK UP ON THAT REALLY QUICKLY AND BEFORE YOU KNOW IT SHE'LL BE SAYING ALL KINDS OF WORK. MY DAUGHTER'S VOCABULARY IS GROWING EVERYDAY. ALSO I READ TO HER 5 MINUTES EVERY MORNING WHEN SHE GETS UP AND 10 MINUTES AT NIGHT. HOPEFULLY IF YOU TRY THESE THINGS SHE'LL BE TALKING MORE
    TiphaniMommy

Answer by TiphaniMommy at 9:17 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• my son is the same way. i think he is just lazy though bc he has sis to do everything for him...
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 11:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Your post makes me feel better. My son is 2 years and 2 months old and he still doesn't talk. Plus, he looks like he is 4 so people expect him to talk to them. I was starting to think that I was all alone in the no talking area. We read to him all the time. I talk constantly and feel like I am talking to myself 24-7. I would just really like some ideas for helping him talk a little more. Sorry, I can't help you.
    TLVS

Answer by TLVS at 11:27 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I talk to her all the time i never used baby talk with her and i read to her as well. I have used flash cards and even went as far as labeling things around the house. She says very few words if any but she understands a lot. If anything she babbles like crazy non stop especially on the phone she has a thing for "talking on the phone" i just wish i she speak in English if you know what i mean.
    Lysistrata98

Answer by Lysistrata98 at 2:11 AM on Jul. 6, 2009