What do you do with childs old clothing?

angelica0823

Asked by angelica0823 at 5:07 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• so far, I've kept it! I only have one and I am keeping all her clothes for the next baby. If it's a girl, we are set! If it is a boy I can sell them to a shop up here that only takes gently used clothing and toys. They give you cash and the I will buy boy clothing. I have taken a few items here and there and use the cash to buy her a few new outfits she will grow into.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:12 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I save it and give it to friends who need it or use it for my quilts if its damaged.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'm saving all the stuff my sons grown out of, because he's my first and i want to be able to use it on my next, especially if its a boy. If my next is a girl i'm still going to save it. I want 4 lil ones so chances are i'll get another boy. Then i'll either give it away as hand me downs if its in good condition or give it to goodwill or something
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 6:16 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• So far we have givien it to either a local women's shelter, given a large donation to a coworker's teen daughter that was pregnant, and I have another coworker who I give to regularly. In short, there is no shortage of needs. I keep only those few items that are very special to me and my husband. Things that I would want to hang on to in case another child comes along OR for my son to pass on to his children.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:45 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I have one and only plan to have one. So, I keep very special outfits. The rest I gather up for a seasonal consignment sale that happens in my area. It is a mommy and kid type sale. All gently used maternity clothes, baby and children clothes or furniture like cribs. If you put clothes in the sale you get to shop before the public and you get to collect your money at the end. Anything that didn't sell you can get back or they take to a local shelter for you. It works out great to clean out the clothes by season and get money to go buy new clothes.
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 8:32 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Consignment stores (there are some GREAT ones out there), yard sales, and we've given some away. Last year, we had three yard sales and I still had about 6 tubs left, so I gave all the baby boy clothes to a girl in my little brother's class who was pregnant.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:58 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I wanted to add that consignment stores usually give you more money for trade than for cash, so if you trade for bigger clothes or clothes for the new baby or whatever, you get more money. I bought TONS of brand new looking preemie clothes for my son after he was born that way.

You can also sell them on craigslist or ebay.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:00 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I sell his good stuff on ebay. All his gymboree outfits and other nice stuff. A lot of times I try to find someone to give it to but theres no one that is directly under him that I know of. In fact, I dont have hand me down people to give anything to. I usually just resell it on ebay. I have 4 kids too. To be my friend and have a child in a size smaller than mine is a good thing. We just moved so I dont know anyone here and my cousins and nephews are getting bigger than my kids. My boys are small. My 5 yr old cousin is now bigger in shoe size and clothing size than my 7 yr old. My 3 yr old is just now wearing a 3 so all of his 24 mos and 2's, I sold and then gave some to the local thrift store.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:05 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Red Cross clothing boxes.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 9:20 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• WHEN TIPHANI GROWS OUT OF HER CLOTHES I GAVE SOME TO MY SISTER WHO HAS A DAUGHTER TWO YEARS YOUNGER THAN MY DAUGHTER. THE REST I GAVE TO MY CHURCH AND GOODWILL.
    TiphaniMommy

Answer by TiphaniMommy at 9:21 AM on Jul. 2, 2009