If someone was going to get a bible and didnt know what type to get what would you tell them?

I would say the king james Bible what about you?

hinson7169

Asked by hinson7169 at 5:07 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If it is someone who's not familiar with the Bible, I'd probably say start with an NIV,or NKJV. Both are excellent,and put some of the unfamiliar language into easier to understand form. I love the KJV,but as I said, sometimes the lingo can be hard to understand. I personally have an NIV,but that's because I read the Women's Devotional Bible (on my 3rd version of it),and that's what they are. Even Beth Moore uses an NIV,at least when she does her videos.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 8:38 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I think the King James bible is harder to understand, while more accurate it is confusing! I have King James, NIV and a New Living Translation bible. I use all three by looking up the verse in King James, then finding it in the other two. Helps with perception.
    I would recomend the New Living Translation, NIV or Message. I also like the Rainbow Study Bible.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:15 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• RSV (Revised Standard Version). Good ecumenical study bible, especially if you get a version that includes the apocrypha. I'm Catholic so I have the RSV-CE (Catholic Edition). My neighbor who is Baptist likes her RSV too. In college, the RSV with apocrypha was used in my bible courses.
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 8:21 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I love my NKJV bible. Either that or NLT or NIV.
    SparklingHope

Answer by SparklingHope at 9:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• While I realize the King James Version can be hard to understand, you DO get used to it. It is the most accurate translation of God's Word as well. I would recommend a KJV with all the bells and whistles: commentaries, footnotes, biographies, geographical notes, etc. It makes a great study Bible. Start in John, then read through the New Testament, and then the Old. You'll never regret it.
    ProudTexan71

Answer by ProudTexan71 at 9:52 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I would tell them to research lots of different bibles and to look at different ones in the store and to pick the one that speaks to them. For some it may be the KJV, for others, it may be the NIV or the NLT . . . I think it depends on the person and what they're seeking spiritually.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:30 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• The New World Translation. It has won awards among secular scholars for being the most accurate translation. I think that's what's important. Not how it sounds or what you want it to say, but what the actual texts say. The NWT unlike many others is translated from the original texts, not from another translation, this leaves less room for error.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My suggestion would be to go here http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=

pick a random passage and then use the scroll bar (Under Passage results) to go through the varying Bibles listed to find one whose translation you agree with.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:16 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I'd just tell them to use Bible Gateway's website - that way they could get many different translations of each verse.

nobakecheezcake

Answer by nobakecheezcake at 11:28 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Dangit Kristi you beat me to it.. lol

nobakecheezcake

Answer by nobakecheezcake at 11:29 AM on Jul. 2, 2009