What Jesus said about non believers...

Jesus Christ, having noted the faith and righteousness of a Roman centurion, a Pagan, proclaimed:

"Assuredly I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel! And I say to you that many will come from east and west, and sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. But the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness. There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." (Matthew 8:10-12)

Jesus appears to be saying in this passage that pagans and others of righteousness and great faith will be let into the kingdom of heaven, and those who are christian but have not lead a christian life (been faithful and righteous) will go to hell. So I think that perhaps while other beliefs were outlawed by god (witchcraft etc.) they were outlawed for the ppl who followed him. But that the faithful and good ppl of any religion were what really mattered. What do you think? All faiths answ

NightOwlMama

Asked by NightOwlMama at 6:37 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• As ptomom stated, this passage is saying that Salvation is for everyone, not only Jews. Jesus saw this pagan who had greater faith than any one of the Jews. He stated that there would be many more like him from every corner of the world with great faith. He goes on to state "But the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness." He's referring to the Jews as the sons of the kingdom. When I read this line, I picture Him saying it with a very heavy heart. The fact that Jesus' own race was rejecting Him had to have been so painful. This is a beautiful passage that shows how much The Lord loves ALL... not only the Jews- which is GREAT news for me, a gentile!! He came to die for my sins, just like He did the Jews. This passage conveys very clearly that God shows no favoritism- to anyone... weather you are Jew, Muslim, Pagan, white, gay, woman, child, poor... whatever. Christ came to save ALL who accept Him!

beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• This passage is referring to a centurion who had a tremendous amount of faith, even though he had not been brought up in Israel- more faith than most people from Israel. Let me include what The Message Bible says. Keep in mind that The Message is not a translation, but instead a paraphrase/commentary, but I think it will help you understand what this passage is saying.

10-12Taken aback, Jesus said, "I've yet to come across this kind of simple trust in Israel, the very people who are supposed to know all about God and how he works. This man is the vanguard of many outsiders who will soon be coming from all directions—streaming in from the east, pouring in from the west, sitting down at God's kingdom banquet alongside Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Then those who grew up 'in the faith' but had no faith will find themselves out in the cold, outsiders to grace and wondering what happened."
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 8:00 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• WOW!!! beccare2000 That was a GREAT translation!! I hope it helps the poster to understand better!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:00 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• We all know that the Bible has been translated many times...how is anyone sure that beccare2000's translation is completely accurate.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 9:05 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Beccare, I appreciate your respectful and informative answer. However from my perspective, it seems to me that the original version, and the message bible version are saying two totally different things. Since I tend to trust the closest to original version the most, I am not sure I agree with your point of view (respectfully of course). To me changing a few words is retranslating and it can make the original version mean something else entirely, which I believe in this case it has done so.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 9:07 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Unfortunately, in order to really understand ANY passage in the Bible, you have to go back to the original hebrew version and understand what the closest translations of those words mean. Nothing is going to match 100%, and that is why people who take the Bible for literally what it says are probably not getting the full message on ANYTHING.

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:41 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I think any literal interpretation of the Bible is absurd. It was written by people who existed thousands of years ago, possessing a very limited knowledge of the world, and who wanted to control the masses. It has been rewritten countless times in an effort to correspond with the whims and practices of the presiding religious authority at that time. At the time the Christianity was gaining influence, condemnation of pagans was essential as paganism was still the most pervasive religion amongst the "common" people of the land who had not yet converted to Christianity. Ironically, according to everything I've read in any number of re-written bibles, very few people will actually ever make it into heaven and that includes rejection of the majority of Christians... a fact that most Christians seem incapable of comprehending.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• OP, please, no disrespect meant,but I agree with beccare,that's exactly what that verse means. As to what you interpreted it to mean, Jesus also says, later in John 14:6, while speaking of Himself, "I am THE way, THE truth,and THE life. NO ONE comes to the Father,except through me." That's pretty easy to understand. The only way to Heaven is to accept Jesus. As I said,no disrespect meant,but that's the way it is.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Well, Ladies, keep in mind that The Message is not a translation, like the King James, NIV, NAS, etc... It is a paraphrase, or commentary, to help people understand what the Bible is saying. Therefore, I only look to The Message to help enhance and apply what the Bible is saying. Sometimes I agree with their paraphrase, and other times I do not. In this case, I think it is completely accurate, based on what the passage itself is saying to me, as I hold it against the rest of the Bible. As a Christian, I have to understand that God will never contradict Himself. To do so would be sin, and God is not sin. So, whenever we read a passage that doesn't make since when compared to the rest of the teaching in the Bible, we have to seek God for understanding.
    I wish I had time to provide a more thoughtful response, but I'm getting ready to take my kids to a play date. I'll check back later. Blessings!!!
    beccare2000

Answer by beccare2000 at 10:20 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Jesus appears to be saying in this passage that pagans and others of righteousness and great faith will be let into the kingdom of heaven, and those who are christian but have not lead a christian life (been faithful and righteous) will go to hell. So I think that perhaps while other beliefs were outlawed by god (witchcraft etc.) they were outlawed for the ppl who followed him. But that the faithful and good ppl of any religion were what really mattered. What do you think? All faiths answ

Total misinterpretation of the Word of God. From th east and the west, Christ is talking about the Gentiles that accepted him as Savior. Jesus first came to the Jews but was rejected by many not all. This scripture is one that is ushering in the fact that now Salvation is free to everyone not just the Jews. cont.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 11:04 AM on Jul. 2, 2009