Difference in opinion, can it work anyway?

A good friend of mine just started seeing this guy. He is a nice guy, and they really seem to work well together so far. We were all sitting around the other day, and politics came up. I won't get into specific details, b/c I don't want this post to be about the politics themselves, but suffice it to say, they both have drastically opposing viewpoints on politics, and based on the conversation we were having, and continued to have, I don't think they will ever agree on anything politically. I know lots of couples can have an "agree to disagree" policy on many things, but I'm just wondering if politics can be one of those things, and especially when they are so different in their opinions? She thinks it can work out, I'm torn on what I think.

tropicalmama

Asked by tropicalmama at 7:01 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• If that is their only problem, and she thinks they can work it out, let them. If you are her friend and her relationship doesn't work out, be there for her afterwards.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Oh, don't get me wrong: I'm not getting involved. I'm just curious, b/c she thinks it can work, and I'm just not sure if I think it can or can't. Heck, I hope it works, he's really nice and really good to her. She's been thru a lot, and I want to see her happy.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:13 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I think when couples disagree strongly about a subject, the importance of that specific subject to each of them determines how easily they can agree to disagree. Or, if politics is extremely important, they may appreciate having exciting,cut-throat debates with your partner more than they value having a partner who agrees with you.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• One of the most liberal democrat spokespersons, is married to one of the most conservative republican spokespersons. They never talk politics at home, bt debate all the time on tv. If love is stronger than opinions then yes it can work. Bt they can never take each others opinions personally.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 7:45 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My husband and I belong to different political parties. We love a good debate, but love each other and our family more. (Between us, I know I'm right so what's the harm in letting him live in a fantasy......LOL)

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 7:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• DH and I have very different views on politics, but politics is not a big deal to me. I don't have too many friends actually that are even close to what I believe politically, but it just doesn't come up. If it is not something that either is going to make a huge deal about then it is fine. There are lots of families that don't agree on politics/religion etc.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:05 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Even though my husband agrees with me politically, most of my friends and some of my family are completely opposite of me.

You don't have to agree on everything to make a relationship (any relationship) work. You just have to respect their opinions.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• The couple the one poster talked about came to mind for me as well. I can't remember their names but think they rock as a couple. There was even a movie made about either them or just the situation. I think it would make for a great relationship as long as each other respected the beliefs of the other and they knew when to stop talking about it (no arguments that could cause damage to the other emotionally).

Answer by admckenzie at 10:18 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Okay, I am the first to admit that I am probably not as "politically aware" as I could be. But that's just because I hate arguing about things that seem like any first grader could solve easily, its just too much for me and completely stresses me out.  My Dh and I are mostly compatible with politics and social issues, however, I don't see why it would matter if  we didn't. His politics and even his opinions are his own. Mine belong to me. Its more important to agree on parenting, finances, etc. than politics. We vote privately, keep it private. If one of them ever decides to run for office, well then the other one can be quiet and supportive of one another if not supportive of their actions. Like a kid, I love my kids, but I may not always love what they do. Apply the same principle.

Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 11:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My mom and stepdad have been happily together and married for 15 years total. They are on opposite sides of the fence.
    IheartWyatt09

Answer by IheartWyatt09 at 3:59 PM on Jul. 2, 2009