ibuprophen ok while b/f?

Do I need to follow the same guidelines for medication when pregnant while I b/f and stick to tylenol or is ibuprophen ok now? I wanted to take it for my c-section pain.

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 7:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yup, they gave it too me in the hospital after having my kids. I only take ibuprofen.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 7:52 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I know your pain. I also had a c-section, and they gave me a high dosage prescription after I left the hospital. It really didn't help me so I called my doctor. So yes it is ok, but if the pain continues call your doctor
    js3mommy

Answer by js3mommy at 8:04 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Ibuprofen is good.. my doc prescribed a higher-strength of it for c-section pain. Didn't your doc discuss pain?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:58 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Yes, I have taken it.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:52 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• You do need to follow the same guidelines while BF'ing as while pregnant. Because the stuff that goes into your body goes into the breastmilk. Ibuprophin is an Asprin product, which thins the blood. I wouldn't recommend taking it while you're BF'ing. I am going by what the doctor's/nurses at the hospital told me though, so it'd be best to talk with your pedictrician before taking it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• yep it's safe. I take ibuprofen. I was so ready to ditch the tylenol after I gave birth.. it does nothing for me.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2009