WHY THE PREOCUPATION WITH REACHING THE KINGDOM OF GOD?

WHY NOT BE A GOOD PERSON WHILE HERE ON EARTH, BEING KIND AND COMPASSIONATE WHILE HERE MAKES MORE SENSE TO ME THAN TO WORRY IF I OR OTHERS WILL MAKE IT THERE.

Asked by older at 7:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • I actually believe that those who preach the word of God out of one side of their mouth and spread hatred out of the other side, will not go to Heaven. NO matter how much they really believe. I think it's all tied together. What you do, and how you believe.

I know people of different religions believe differently, and I can't tell them that they are wrong, only that Christianity feels right to me.

I've heard some theories that all the relgions of the world are one in the same. That they all pray to the same God, we just call God different things. It's something I've pondered through the years. I don't claim to know all the answers, that's God's job.

There's a line in "we were soldiers" that says: "We are moving into the Valley of the Shadow of Death where you will watch the back of the man next to you, as he will watch yours, and you won't care what color he is, or by what name he calls God."
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Well, because for anyone who knows the teachings of Christ, that was our commandment, but I think many people misunderstand it. First of all being good doesnt get us anywhere with God. Hes unimpressed with our self sufficient ways. Its great to be kind and compassionate and in fact God requires it from us, but I personally have to have Gods help to be that way. Anything done in our own strength is of no value to God. It doesnt gain us points with him. Besides the goal of Christians is not to reach the Kingdom of God. Thats already what belongs to him. Those who are spreading the message of Christ are trying to reach those whom they feel are "lost". My personal belief is that I am to be the example by my life and how I live, not by preaching anything at anyone. People arent stupid, they can see right through words of people who do a lot of talking and not much living it out. Thats my peeve.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:23 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• MOMOFSAEE, WHY DO YOU FEEL THOSE WHO DON'T FOLLOW THE MESSAGE OF CHRIST ARE LOST? THERE ARE MANY WHO DON'T AND DON'T FEELLOST.

Answer by older at 8:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I don't know that this can be understood by anyone unless they believe that every person will forever live somewhere and that there are only two options for one's eternal destiny. One option is heaven, which is in a sense the kingdome of god; and the other option is hell, which is a place of eternal torment. Believing that Jesus Christ lived, died, was buried and resurrected, and now lives again is the only way to attain the kingdom of God, according to the Bible. That is why true Christians are so passionate about wanting everyone they know to become a part of the kingdom of God. The decision about those two options is urgent because once a person dies, there are no more chances to rethink the decision. The bonus to accepting Christ as the way to the kingdom is that one actually begins to live the kingdom life on this side of eternity and we do live lives of love, caring, and compassion as you describe.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:30 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Being a kind and compassionate person hre on earth is wonderful. That is exactly what Jesus preached we should do. We should, however, be concerned with our hereafter, and I would prefer to be walking on streets of gold than to burn in a lake of hellfire. Personal choice.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:39 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Older you might as well give up! When it comes to christians and their believes, trying tell them that everyone is not the same and that they don't know if their way is the right was or not, or that everyone they meet you does not believe as they do, is like talking to a BRICK WALL. To them their religion is all there is and nothing else matters.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 8:41 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• SOONMOMMYOF3, ALL I WANT IS TO UNDERSTAD, I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING ABOUT THE BRICK WAL, BUT I SEE SO MANY CHRISTIANS BEING RUDE AND JUST PLAIN EVIL AND THEN THEY GO PREACH TO THE REST.

Answer by older at 8:44 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Well that's my point, I know you want to understand... I do to, but when someone believes so strongly in something, getting any logical thought out of them is not going to happen. Christians who do that, IMO are hypocrites.

SOONMOMMYOF3, ALL I WANT IS TO UNDERSTAD, I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE SAYING ABOUT THE BRICK WAL, BUT I SEE SO MANY CHRISTIANS BEING RUDE AND JUST PLAIN EVIL AND THEN THEY GO PREACH TO THE REST.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 8:46 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• It is easier to act like a jerk on Earth and believe that all you have to do is say sorry and you will live happily in the hereafter then it is to act like a decent human being now.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 8:58 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Because they have to have a goal to reach- something to look forward to. They can't just be happy with the life they have right now.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:15 AM on Jul. 2, 2009