Do you have wild pets? a toddler was killed by a boa pet...

By KI MAE HEUSSNER

July 1, 2009—

A 12-foot Burmese python escaped from its aquarium and strangled a 2-year-old Florida girl in her bed today, officials said.

Lt. Bobby Caruthers of the Sumter County Sheriff's Office said the toddler lived in the central Florida town of Oxford.

WFTV in Orlando, Fla., reported the story earlier today.

The python belonged to the mother's boyfriend, who did not have a state license to possess the snake, a spokeswoman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission told ABCNews.com.

"Basically, the snake was put away last night in an aquarium in a bag," Caruthers said. "[He] woke up this morning and discovered the snake was missing, ran into the infant's bedroom and saw the snake on top of the child."

Caruthers said the owner stabbed the snake to remove it from the child. cont http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=7980476

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• snakes are NOT domesticated like dogs cats etc..I would never own one and I think the parents should be held responsible! JMO.

Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• no- i would never have wild pets in the house...that is so sad!
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 9:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• That's so tragic....
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:31 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I would never want a snake in my house, but then again I wouldn't even have a large dog.... That is sad and scary. I feel bad for the family...I am sure they never thought something like that would happen.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:09 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• While this is a tragic story you do have to understand that ALL animals are wild! There is a better chance of a child being killed by a Dalmation than a Snake. But it does happen. That doesn't make the animal evil, it makes them an animal. Personally, I love snakes. I don't have one because I can't afford to keep one right now. There are deaths every year from "normal" pets and no one ever sees cats or fish as evil or "wild". They just see it as a horrid thing - And this is too. It was ACCIDENTAL!! Quit trying to make the animal or the parents look bad, they weren't. It's unfortunate but there is a risk with ANY child and with ANY pet.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• this is such a sad story. We don't have any pets in the house. And I would never own a wild animal.
    jtallant

Answer by jtallant at 10:37 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I believe having pets teaches children respect love care etc if and a house that does not have a pet of some sort is just lame lol. But that was the wrong pet to have if it can get out and if you have a child. Plus like I said before they are not domesticated like dogs, house cats etc. You should not own a snake that big especially if you care about animals.

Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I have ferrets.. some people consider them wild animals but I've had them most of my life and they are sweet animals. They sometimes have bad habits that need to be resolved, but I don't feel that my child is in any danger being around them. She will learn good boundaries with animals and if they bite her, then I know that she did something to hurt them and it becomes a lesson. I did have one ferret that was a biter, and after working with her for a while we were unable to resolve the issue. She bit my daughter's foot when she was only 3 weeks old, and at that point she stayed caged until I found her a new home
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I would not have an undomesticated animal around my children. However I do have a dog, and it does have teeth, therefor it is not to be trusted around my children. I think childhood pets are great, but I don't leave my dog unattended around my kids.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Babies have been killed by house cats, too. Parents can be stupid.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2009