Should a store sell things almost out of date?

DH brought me a Lunchable from the store this morning and it tasted funny. I looked at the date and it said "Use by July 03, 2009." Today is the 2nd.
and is there a difference in "Sell by" and "Use by?" or what. LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• usually if the the exp date is that soon the pruduct should have been marked down & advertised as a quick sale. thats what are local stores do so at least you know what your getting
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 9:34 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I want to say that sell by IS different than use by........like with meat...alot of the packages say SELL BY...but you can still USE them after that date....if they are properly maintained.....where as USE BY means either use it or loose it.....i mean i could be wrong...but this is what i think....

I am a big date checker.....i try to check the dates on all the food/perishable things we buy...i don't think that a store should be able to sell things almost out of date....i used to work at walmart...and i would check in the vendors...and when their products are almost out of date they would pull them from the shelf and give the store a credit (on the new bill) for the ones that didn't sell or were outdated....
    ThinkPink23

Answer by ThinkPink23 at 9:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• they do it lol..especially with candy! I use to work at toys r us and we would have candy from two years back! Eww..not okay!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I am anal about expiration dates, especially when it comes to meat and dairy. If it is looming around the expiration date I pitch it. I try to watch in stores so I don't bring home things I have to worry about expiring before consumed. Lucky for me I have 5 kids so most things don't even get close to expiring before they are eaten. I agree with with the post above, sell by and use by are two different things. If it isn't used by the use by date, out it goes!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:43 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Sell by is the date the food has to be off the shelves. Use by is the expiration date and the food should not be eaten after that date. I am a stickler for use by and sell by dates. I throw milk out on the sell by date (I worked child care and that is the state law, now a habit of mine). IF something is expired, it goes in the garbage, no matter what. The only exception is meat that is ok to eat once it is frozen BEFORE the use by or sell by date. Then, I only keep it for about 6 months.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Hell no! It's very frustrating. I've had to take things back before.
    Partyof2

Answer by Partyof2 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2009