Does it matter how intense your contractions are....

I had a dr. appt yester day, I am 32 weeks and have been having menstral cramps off and on and I have begun to lose my mucas plug. My dr did an internal exam to check on me and he said my cervix is still closed but the babies head is right there and that is what was causing everything. Well he said that if I have 4 contractions in an hour than I am suppose to call him. Well then last night my back hurt for like two hours straight and I couldnt sleep, this morning my stomach feels like someone was punching me all night and now I am having lower abdominal cramps and some backache but the pain only subsides slightly but isnt completly going away but the pain isnt bad enough that I cant walk so since I can tolerate it do I just ignore it or do I call the dr. I dont know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Sit down, relax, and drink a big glass of water. The last couple of months are miserable for some people. If you still feel as bad then call and see what dr says to do.
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 10:17 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• i agree with aeemom. theres really nothing you can do about it, your getting down towards the end and thats what happens for some women.

but when labor is near, yes the intensity of the contractions does matter. you could be having some small contractions here and there and they may just be braxton hicks. (if you are having more than 4 an hour though go in) but don't worry sweetie, YOU WILL KNOW when you are having REAL contractions, trust me!!!
    good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Well...I had your symptoms and was in full blown labor because I deal with pain so well I just didn't think I was actually in labor. I was fully dilated and I nearly had my baby at home. I gave birth minutes after getting to the hospital before even being checked in. So you can't always rely on the "you will know when it's real" argument.

Having said that...If you aren't sure that it is contractions because it feels like cramps...place your fingertips onto your bump and FEEL for the tightening. You can track your contractions that way. Time them and if you are contractions every 2-3 minutes or more than the 4 an hour as suggested by your DR. then I'd go in to be checked.

The backache could very well be back labor and the cramping could be contractions. I have never felt my stomach tightening like other women say. I've just felt really bad cramps. It is possible you have a high pain tolerance so I suggest feeling+timing
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 11:02 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Don't sleep on your back anymore! Its dangerous, the nurses at labor and delivery said to sleep on your right side because more air is able to get thru to the baby and uterus. Sleeping on your back cuts off air and yes it will make your back hurt because of all the pressure from the baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I wasnt sleeping on my back last night, I just woke up with a backache I always lay on my right or left side.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• i would have to disagree with the first 2. Walk walk walk!!! its helps u diliate! if u get at least 4 cm and have contractions they will make u walk around a little more to diliate u, and by then BAM u shoudl get ur contractions as they are supposed to be? lol. and if not they will induce you. *experience*
    MamaStrawBerry1

Answer by MamaStrawBerry1 at 11:22 AM on Jul. 2, 2009