My daughter is 11 months & she cannot CIO.

everytime, never fails. if i try to let her cio she will throw up everywhere. not even like 10 mins into it she pukes all over the crib or herself. she gets that upset. i dunno what to do, i dont want to put her through that but she will never learn. =( i'm so upset i feel like she won't ever learn her to go to bed on her own ever and she will always wake up for a bottle. im scared, cus everytime she throws up and thats horrible. it never fails it's every single dang time. then by time i'm done changing sheets, giving her a bath cause the throw up and changing my clothes, she's tired and i feel horrible too. i dunno if this is normal either? every other baby i know of just cries for hours and doesnt even throw up. what should i do? she's almost a year old! i cant live like this forever.

blueside22

Asked by blueside22 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• has she bee a co-sleeper since she was born?
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 10:58 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• no she was not a co sleeper.
    blueside22

Answer by blueside22 at 11:14 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Anyway, to put her crib in your room for a while? And that way she can see you and still be in her crib. Or could you sleep in her room with her for a while? Maybe make a bed up on the floor and make a big deal about it. Then she can see you but get used to her crib.
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 11:15 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Then don't make her CIO. What I did was waited longer to put them in bed. I waited until they were very tired and then cuddled and sang to them until they were asleep. I would hold them until they would sigh and then put them in their crib. If you want them to go to bed by say 8oclock and they aren't tired by them, start getting them up earlier.
    There is nothing saying they have to fall asleep on their own so early. You are them mom and if something isn't working for you, you don't have to keep it up because it is the "right way". You need to figure out your own right way.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:33 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• You're going to need to take a step back. Cry it out works great if baby isn't so upset. Why is baby so upset? Try to take in the whole picture. Is she tried/almost asleep when you lay her down? Is she used to falling asleep on you? or having a bottle or paci? What might help clam her down? Maybe she needs a toy or blanket that smells like you or some noise or a night light?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• If your child vomits every time you attempt it, STOP!!!

Maybe, just maybe, she needs YOU. I co-slept from 4mo with my first, and from birth with my second and....and by 2.5 and 3 they were in their own beds in their own rooms!

"Infant-Parent Co-sleeping in an Evolutionary Perspective." http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/articles/B.pdf
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Have you gotten the book Solve Your Child's sleep problems by Ferber? I LOVE that book! It solved our problems in days! (my son is also 11 months and is not a great sleeper)
    The main thing the book teaches is the things you are doing that are preventing your child from being a good sleeper.
    It does have a CIO method but it's very planned out. It also talks about what to do if a child vomits.
    With the book my son was sleeping on his own without crying by day 4. And TOTAL of the days he never cried more than 15 minutes.... that all the days combined! The first day he cried about 8 mins, the next 5 and the next less than 1.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I agree with Tess!!! You need to keep her in her crib.. but be visible for her. You dont want her to be a tot & climbing in bed with mommy & daddy!!! But most deff. if its making her sick to be alone.. then stay in there with her... my daughter slept in her bassinet in my room till she was 3 months.. then one night i just put her in her crib... never rocked her nothing just layed her down.. played her fav. music & sat in the rockers & watched her fall asleep then left.. I only had to do that for a week.. then she didnt need me in ther anymore!!
    LiLMama923

Answer by LiLMama923 at 2:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2009