Any Ideas for Potty Training (boys)??

My son is now 3 and he hates the suggestion even of using the potty and being a big boy...I have tried sooooo many ways but nothing seems to work or even get the attention of him (other than saying NO NEVER! Or stating very boldly how much he dislikes the potty/toilet and he never wants to be a big boy/or use the potty EVER! I am so tired of the diapers and it is just so unnecessary at his age and not to mention VERY EXPENSIVE and no schools want to take toddlers that are not yet trained...any ideas? I will try anything at this point THANKS!

JennKent3782

Asked by JennKent3782 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried buying him some cool undies? Sometimes that helps.
    It sounds like more of a power struggle at this point that an actual "training" issue. You might want to try saying absolutely nothing about it for a few months before trying again.
    You can also try letting him run around naked when you are home, so that he doesn't have anything to "go" in. But, if it is a true power stuggle, you will have a lot of messes to clean up. =)
    What about treats? I hung a hot wheels car in the bathroom and put stickers on it whenever my stubborn one decided to go (or try). I never asked him, just waited for him to initiate it. Once he got 10 stickers, he got to open the car......It took 3 cars and he was totally trained!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 10:57 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• This is a hard suggestion. But I would plan a few days when you don't need to go anywhere and remove diapers and put him in underwear. Tell him it is time to use the potty. Set a timer for every 40 minutes and tell him even if he doesn't have to go that it IS time to sit on the potty. Even give him some extra liquids those days. When he has accidents, don't get upset at him. Just talk to him about how it is now time to do this on the potty. Explain to him his diapers are gone now because he is a big boy. I would even have him help clean up any mess he makes with the accidents.

I feel for you . . . my son wouldn't go poo on the potty. I tried everything! We bribed him that if he went poo on the potty we would take him to Target and he could pick out anything he wanted. It took him two weeks of me telling him the bribe over and over again . . . but finally he took the bribe.
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 11:06 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I also let mine put stars (stickers) on the cupboard in the bathroom every time he went potty.

There is also a good video, called Potty Power. My kids love that video and still want to watch it even though they are both potty trained. You can find it at Amazon for about 13.00. Good luck!

Oh since mine was scared of sitting on the potty to go poo, I even had him sit fully clothed and drop raisins in the toilet from between his legs. I read that suggestion somewhere and it was supposed to help him see there was nothing to fear . . . lol . . . I was desperate.
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 11:11 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I do agree w/TessLouise my son was the same way he refused to use the potty and he was also three,I did everything I could think of and I mean EVERYTHING,my step-father said put him in underwear and it will all change,I thought yeah right but lull and behold two days of accidents in his new Spidey undies and that was that,just a heads up but a few packs of underwear pairs for him to have accidents in and a nice new pack for when he gets the potty thing down-my son also loved being able to pick out his undies so take him along and let him be part of the decision making process. Hope this helps and that everything works out.
    madconmaksmum

Answer by madconmaksmum at 1:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My son was like that and when he was 3.5 we just took diapers away and put him in underwear. he picked p on going number 1 in the toilet really fast - maybe a week or two (and while it is a pain for that time its worth it) but he would have number 2 accidents for months. after about 2 to 3 weeks he used the toilet regularly but then once to twice a month he would have number 2 accidents. he didn't like this because we would throw his cool underwear away. then he started taking off his underwear and squating to go (in his backpack, on the floor, whatever he wanted) he got spankings 3 times for that and then had to take a nap and since then has not had an accident. his last accident was in october of last year and we started that process in july of last year. it worked for us, hope it does for you :)
    lovedwifey1708

Answer by lovedwifey1708 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Try throwing a cheerio in the toilet bowl and telling him to try to hit it with his pee. Some boys get a kick out of that.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:16 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• My son is 95% potty trained. he is 2 1/2. I have a wonderful private sitter and she worked with him constantly. Basically, we got him to start peeing outside. We would tell him to pee on the flowers, pee on the tree, pee on mommy's truck tires, anything to get him to go. We asked him and made him at least attempt to go pee about every 30 to 45 minutes. When he was at home, he wore underwear, when he was at the babysitters i made him ware pullups, but i used the kind that would get cold when wet. He has accidents about once or twice a week, but overall he is potty trained. He prefers to pee outside, but when situations don't allow it we take him to the potty and place him on the potty backwards. We also keep a potty chair in the kitchen close by for emergencies. We included bribes, he would get stickers all week at the end of wk he would get a prize. The main thing is just making him go even when he says no.

dawn.martin

Answer by dawn.martin at 12:25 AM on Jul. 4, 2009