What can I do for heartburn?

I'm 31 weeks pregnant and I cant sleep at night because the heartburn is SO bad. Any suggestions? I go to the doctor on Tuesday but I am looking for something to help me cope until then! Thanks!

ArmyWife9-2-08

Asked by ArmyWife9-2-08 at 10:40 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Trying taking two tums right before heartburn really starts in, and I found that having a popsticle before bed has helped, me the edys fruit ones, not the icky kids one though. And, my heartburn subsides within a couple of mins. Good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 10:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• the fruity tums always made it a lot better for me. <3
    MamaStrawBerry1

Answer by MamaStrawBerry1 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• or a glass of milk before you go to bed, always seems to put the fire out lol.
    MamaStrawBerry1

• I had like the whole acid reflux and heartburn problem around maybe my 3rd or 4th month of pregnancy.. I found changing my eating habits more than helpful. Instead of eating like a huge meal at a time gradually eat a healthy meal in smaller proportions every 2 hours, this includes snacks (yogurt, low fat pudding, granola bars, graham crackers with peanut butter, etc.). And especially during the night when close to bed don't eat the greasy and fatty foods. Resort to something like granola bars with fruit centers or what have you not, and milk. It worked for me. Also with night eating wait 2 hours before you lie down if you do have like a big meal. But if this isn't possible stack pillows under your head so that you head is highly elevated and this should help as well. I've read where foods high in acid such as tomatoes and oranges can worsen heartburn as well as, chocolate, mint, alcohol, spicy foods, even coffee can worsen it.
    pink_callalily

Answer by pink_callalily at 10:57 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I hope some of the tips I offered were helpful if you decide to try them. Best of luck!
    pink_callalily

• thanks! I've quit eating before bed, but I will try the other reccomendations. Thanks again ladies!
    ArmyWife9-2-08

Answer by ArmyWife9-2-08 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I tried everything when I was pregnant with my son. I got it so bad I would throw up. It was awful. On the upside, my son had SOOO much hair.
    Gavsmama06

Answer by Gavsmama06 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• a glass of milk or rolaids.. that works great for me..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Zantac...it's over the counter and approved for pregnancy. I never get heartburn when I'm not pregnant, but when I am pregnant, the heartburn is so severe that the only thing that touches it is maximum strength Zantac (150 mg). I've tried the generic Zantac and it doesn't work at all, but the name brand works wonders...wouldn't be able to sleep without it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:12 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Oh, and you will find that once you get farther along there will be certain foods you just can't eat. This is my 3rd pregnancy and I just know that after 6 months I can't eat pizza or spaghetti. Tomato sauce and the second half of pregnancy just don't mix for me.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2009