Bacteria Viagnosis while pregnant

Im 7 months pregnant and was just tested and found that I have BV. I was given metronidazole to take but am so scared to take anything while pregnant. I know that preterm labor might happen - but also dont know if there are any side effect or birth defects that can happen to the baby if I take while PG. Anyone else out there take this med while PG - was baby ok? Anyone not take it and deliver fine?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yea, I got the same meds, for a unbalance in my Ph. the only problem i had with it was if i didnt take it on a full stomach it was hell to pay in the bathroom. Just take it as directed. the doctor wouldnt give u a medication that would hurt the baby or mess up ur labor. Just make sure u eat and then take it.
    MamaStrawBerry1

Answer by MamaStrawBerry1 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• BV is common during pregnancy and Flagyl the drugs trade name is very common. They do not reccommend taking the med during the 1st trimester, other than that and some side effects of nausea, headache etc...it is pretty safe. The Dr would not give you a med that wasnt
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:10 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I actually have the same thing right now, and the meds are safe. I get it at least once with every pregnancy. I had it with my other 2 and they are happy healthy kids so I would take the meds rather than risk pre term labor.
    lvnmygrlz

Answer by lvnmygrlz at 12:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I had it too and was also scared to take the antibiotic while pregnant, so I didn't. I was also scared to take it while breastfeeding, so I didn't. My son weaned at 10.5 months old. I did some research and decided to treat the BV with grapefruit seed extract. It was gone after 6 days of taking grapefruit seed extract capsules 2 times a day.
    Anonymous