Speach

I nanny this little boy, he is almost 2 and has no real words in his vocab. When I say no words, no mama, dada, cup, up, ball....nothing! He just makes the worst high pitch noise ever when he throws fits, and awful growls like he's possessed when he's "talking"

I'm starting to think he is delayed. And if he is, is there anything I can do to help him. His mom doesn't think it's a problem he doesn't talk. But then again I have him more then her, and she doesn't spend time with him.

HOW MUCH SHOULD HE BE TALKING BY NOW?

EarthMama05

Asked by EarthMama05 at 11:40 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The child should be evaluated by the Department of Health, Early Intervention. You can do exercises and teach him sign language, there are many web sites out there that help. Good luck! (and check to see if the child's tongue is not tied! (connected more then normal)
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• He should have at least 20 words. Most have over 100 and are beginning to string 2 words together.
    Yes, there is a problem. And the longer he goes without being able to communicate his needs and wants, the worse his temper will get. Have you tried teaching him sign language? You can't really tell a mom something she doesn't want to hear but you can help him by giving him a way to talk to you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• i agree with kaycee! you could also read to him and repeat and point to the words and objects. my son is 14 months old and he doesnt talk much at all. when I read goodnight moon I point to the cow and say MOOO then ask him "where is the cow". he doesnt point yet, but he does react to my question with an "AHHH" lol but at least that's something and he does seem to understand....
    Anonymous