I have to stop b/f to take antibiotics for 2 weeks...I am devastated. Anyone else go through this and were you able to start b/f-ing again?

My c-section incision will not heal. I've already taken 2 rounds of 2 different antibiotics and they didn't help so now I have to take one that I can't take while b/f. I am going to pump as much as I can the next 2 days while I make sure she'll take a formula and hopefully pump enough to at least give her 1 bottle of my milk per day (I will be on antibiotics for 2 weeks then 2 more days to get it out of my system)...anyone else been through this? Need suggestions.

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 11:41 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YOu mostly likely don't need to wean...doctors are idiots..you can nurse on meds, seriously
    find out the name of the med and search hre
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/aap-approved-meds.html and here
    http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT

Talk to a LC before giving up. If you want to breastfeed then there are options for safe meds. Unless its cancer there are safe meds...

If it really wasn't safe then you couldn't pump and even give a bottle of it, if its unsafe its unsafe period....but you'd need to pump and dump every 2-3 hours round the clock to maintain supply with a great double electric pump, getting them back the breast is VERY hard but not impossibe, but even harder if supply is gone...

please ask a breastfeeding group for help
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I had mastitis while breast feeding. My ped told me to bf the length of my antibiotics right BEFORE a dosage was taken. That way little drug went into baby. One of my kids I bf and also formula fed. You're not a bad mom if you do have to completely stop bf for any reason. Talk directly to your pharmacist too for his opinion of drugs differences in strength for your infection. WIth my first baby I was hospitalized over a week with a uterine infection and on antibiotics too then. The lactation nurses were very helpful. Try giving La Leche a call if you want.

Most important mommy YOU get better. Baby's life needs you more than baby's immediate growth needs breastmilk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Have you checked Dr. Hale's?
    Next time any doctor tells you that a drug is incompatable with breastfeeding, RUN to your computer and look here.

Dr. Hale's Breastfeeding and Medications Forum
    http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi?pg=topics&access=guest

Doctors and other MCP can post questions about specific medications, and the rest of us can read for free.

Here is the forum on vicodin.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 11:50 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• **OP** My doc wants me to take tetracyclen - not sure if that's how you spell it...anyone else take this?
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Tetracycliine is L2 for nursing. What that means is that it is pretty much safe to take. Your doctor is confusing it with pregnancy being a no no because it is category D for pregnancy.

PLEASE DON"T listen to that doctor--he is obviously not a smart one.
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/aap-approved-meds.html#Antibiotics
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 11:58 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• If your doctor had taken the 15 seconds I took to look that up he would know this. Imagine how many breastfeeding relatinships he has effed up!
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 11:59 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Go to www.kellymom.com they have a huge list of med's that are ok to take while nursing, you'd be surprised by what you can take. Print out the sheet and show it to your doc, and if you are still unsure post a question and they can help you further.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:01 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Well I was hospitalized 8 days after my section due to an infection. I was given an IV antibiotic, starts with an L. Anyway, it was pretty strong. I was told by 4 docs. that I could def. bf while on it and 1 doc. and 1 nurse told me I couldn't. I went with the docs. that said it was ok and continued to bf while on the antibiotic. Ppl. have different opinions about this kind of thing, you might want to call different doctors and ask them their opinions. One of the docs. was like 'really, we give bf'ing moms percocet and vicodin. This antibiotic will not hurt your baby!." Anyway, my antibiotic was very strong and I still bf'ed. Plus when I got sent home, I was on another antibiotic, which I can't remember the name of, but I did continue to bf. Call around and get other opinions. You will hear different things.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I would call the hospital where you delivered and ask other OB's and even call pediatricians. They will give you their opinions, and I am sure you will get different recommendations, as I did.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:49 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I am sure you will get different answers but remember that those nurses and doctors don't always know every drug. The list on kellymom has the list from the AAP for approved drugs.

My mother in law is a nurse and she thinks you can't nurse if you have a cold or an infection. Nurses and doctors know little to nothing about lactation since most women just don't nurse long enough to run into these questions.
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 2:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2009