Delayed Speach?

I nanny this little boy, he is almost 2 and has no real words in his vocab. When I say no words, no mama, dada, cup, up, ball....nothing! He just makes the worst high pitch noise ever when he throws fits, and awful growls like he's possessed when he's "talking"

I'm starting to think he is delayed. And if he is, is there anything I can do to help him. His mom doesn't think it's a problem he doesn't talk. But then again I have him more then her, and she doesn't spend time with him.

HOW MUCH SHOULD HE BE TALKING BY NOW?

EarthMama05

Asked by EarthMama05 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• By the way, the first thing to access speech issues is to have a hearing test. They just aren't looking for not hearing at all but how he hears things. For instance if a child has allergies they could have water in their ears and not hear things clearly. So while he might hear he may not hear them how they actually sound which would effect his speech.

Here is an excellent article talking about milestones for speech: http://www.babycenter.com/0_developmental-milestone-talking_6573.bc
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 12:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My son at 3 said beyah! This was the only sound he made. Yes he's speech delayed and at 12 he still attends speech therapy in school. He also attended a special preschool and did home speech therapy for several years. His mom is a fool if she ignores this problem.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• He should be saying basic words/sounds by now. I have a neighbor that had a son that was not talking by the time he was two . . . nothing . . . no mama, dada or anything. He has a form of autism and this was their first real sign of it.

In my opinion, this little boy needs someone to take a look at him NOW. The sooner the issues are diagnosed the better off he is at getting some help.
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 11:56 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Any thoughts on anything I can do to help him?
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 2, 2009

• To me it sounds like he could have a speech delay. Two of my sons were delayed in speech. The 1st was in the birth to 3 program and he recieved speech therapy thru them and then thru the school district once he turned 3. He is now 10 and you would never know he had a speech disorder or was delayed. My 2nd is delayed in speech and is currently having Early Childhood thru our school district. I urge you to talk to the childs parents and tell them that the child needs to be evaluated, as he could be delayed in speech. If they don't know where to start- contact the childs doctor and ask for a referral for possible speech delay. Good luck - I hope the childs parents take your concerns seriously and seek help for their child!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:00 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• thank you very much.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 12:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• You know . . . it is going to be up to his parents. There are resources out through school districts even if they aren't school age yet. Maybe gather articles and information about speech, put it together and have a heart to heart with mama. Tell her you really care about him and you have been doing some research. That you hope that nothing is wrong but you are really concerned and would like to find a way to help. Maybe ask her wouldn't it be better to know for sure? And that if everything is fine that there is no harm done in having him checked out. I would talk to the pediatrician first of all and get the hearing test.
    TessLouise

Answer by TessLouise at 12:06 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I agree with the hearing test. And also the earlier any problem is detected the better. wow as for help I'm not sure. I do know when the speech pathologist came to my house she sat on the floor with my son and "played with him". Picked up blocks and said colors and used flash cards. Maybe incorporate that into his day. It was more indepth that that but to me it just looked like everyday play.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:36 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My son said all of those words and more when he was 22 months and I still had him evaluated. They did a four-hour evaluation and a hearing test. At 28 months, he started speech therapy. The boy you are caring for is delayed and his mother needs to wake up and help her child! I am a nanny too. It's wonderful that you care about his development. Hopefully the pediatrician will suggest something to her at his two-year appointment. That's usually when evaluations are recommended. Good luck.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 2:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2009