A pet skunk??

I saw on the news last night that some woman somewhere in the US was caught on tape in a pet store stealing a skunk out of it's bin/cage and putting it in her bag to take home. They said they run $200-$400. I wasn't aware skunks were being domesticated. I guess they have their "stink" glands removed but are they really safe to have? I though tthey were aggressive? Are they legal in all states?

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Pets

• they are like cats, with the oil glands or musk glands removed. they can actually be very good housepets and are very smart clean animals. the fur when clean is absolutely beautiful.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:04 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Actually skunks are clean and quite friendly and personable, like a cat, but with the friendliness of a dog... Good pets.
    Anonymous

• Years ago on Animal Planet I watched a show dedicated to pet skunks. They actually have Skunk Shows (like dog shows/cat shows) where skunk owners can go and have their pet skunk judged.
    They make wonderful pets, I've always wanted one. They are adorable!
    Anonymous

• My husband's best friend had a pet skunk when they were teenagers. It had it's stink glands removed. From what my husband tells me it was a mean little thing. He said it had really sharp nails and scratched everyone. But I guess a skunk can be like any pet, some are nice and some aren't. My husband calls that one the demon.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 1:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Yep they can be pets. My dad almost got a pair of prarie dogs a few years back, but then some disease was hitting the populations and the lady said she wasn't allowed to sell them until it was over. But before that my Dad was talking to her and she had a pair of young flying squirrels and they're so friendly! And good pets!
    SouthernRoses

Answer by SouthernRoses at 2:39 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• skunk can make great pets if percution is taken they can be mean and they dont have a little bite they leave mean marks when they bite. my mom has a wild skunk that she feeds that has been hanging around since it was a baby she puts food out for the outside cats and it comes up with a oppsum and eats the cat food
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 1:38 AM on Jul. 3, 2009

• Wow ladies! I had no idea!! Thanks for the info!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:12 PM on Jul. 4, 2009