Do you think that there should be a new term for the position of boyfriend or girlfriend after a certain age?

I know they use them because they may have just met the person, or aren't that serious about the person yet. I know its a valid term. I just think as a society that maybe we should create a better term for adults in these situations. I mean I guess there's the term suitor, but that seems to always imply that there is more than one to me. But it just sounds so juvenile. I cringe to think that if someone's marriage doesn't work out and they date again, they will be boyfriend and girlfriend. UGH! A grown woman with kids?!!! Am I just crazy or does it bother you all too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I get what you are saying. I'm 30, divorced with 2 kids, and seeing someone pretty seriously. I HATE calling him my boyfriend, it feels like I'm back in high school. But, the thing that makes him and everyone else around me laugh is that I like being called his girlfriend. I love hearing him say, "This is my girlfriend...." or "No, I have plans with my girlfriend..." but I just feel so stupid calling him my boyfriend. Go figure.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I think you are over thinking it. You can call it whatever you like, but I think the term is fine. I actually find it very cute when an 80 year old woman talks about her "boyfriend".
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah, My mom's new gentleman friend is NOT her boyfriend as far as I can say, She's 70 years old and he is in his mid 70's, NOT a BOYfriend....
    Anonymous

• Calling him her "gentleman friend" makes him sound like a john. I think that is way worse then boyfriend. JMO.
    Anonymous

• heck yes... lets make some up.. cause after like 30yrs old, your kinda a bit of a "big girl" now... Im going to call if i had one my "boy toy".. lOL Cant i do that one??
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 12:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My husband and I got married ten years and two kids after we started dating. It felt so weird to be calling him my boyfriend since he was the father of my children and we had been together for so long. I would call him my fiancee but that always seemed weird to me because we weren't engaged so I would call him my husband but that felt weird because we weren't married. I had no idea what to call him 'cause boyfriend made it sound like he was the man I started dating after I had my kids, but they were his kids. Does that last part make sense?

Anyway I am glad we are married now and I can call him husband. Makes things so much easier, so I guess what I am trying to say is yes there should be another name for it.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 12:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• LOL..yeah. I used to work with a woman who was in her 50's and had been "dating" a guy for 10 years. She always referred to him as her boy friend and I thought it was funny. It just seemed so inappropriate for their status and age. I prefer SO (significant other)
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 12:32 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I feel ya! I'm only 26 and hate calling my SO "My boyfriend" Like when I mention him to coworkers it's sounds like we're in high school. So I'll just call him by his name and usually people just refer to him as my husband. Our families actually consider us husband and wife because we have kids and have been together for so long so in referring to me, his family call me his wife.
    Anonymous

• I agree!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Manfriend and womanfriend. Problem solved.
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 12:47 PM on Jul. 2, 2009