where is the actual word "rapture" found in the bible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't believe it is... It's not in my version anyway.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• no the word rapture is not in the bible but the word caught up is and if you check out the Jewish definition for caught up you would from rapture :)

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:17 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• It isn't in the Bible. The word rapture means to be caught up. It is just the word used to refer to the event of Christ returning in the clouds to call away those who have put their faith and trust in Him as their personal Lord & Savior. In that we will be caught up in the clouds with Jesus Christ when He returns for us. Just like the word, Trinity, isn't in the Bible, yet it refers to the 3-person God head of the Father, Son & Holy Spirit.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• blessedmommy64 hit it right on the head. exactly what i was gonna say.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• the Greek word is Harpazo which means "caught up" or "taken away" -- in Latin the word is rapturos or rapio which means the same thing. That is where we get the word rapture. Elijah was raptured. And the concept of rapture is taught throughout the Bible.

"Then we which are alive [and] remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord." 1 Thes. 4:17
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:41 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I forgot to indicate that in the verse above the word Harpazo was used for the words "caught up" and in Latin it was rapture.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• From my research into the book of Revelation and all the other prophecies of the end times, the "rapture" is actually not biblical. The calling up of the "saved" souls actually doesn't happen until after the battle of Armageddon is allegedly won by Christ (after the 1,000 year reign of the Antichrist).

By the way, Cinnamon-mom, I forgot about that verse in Thessalonians. Do you happen to have a cross reference verse as to where Paul got that? I know there's one to the OT, but I can't find my study bible or my concordance (I think the kids hid them, LOL).
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 2, 2009