Marketing! Do companies pay more to have their products in the "right shelf" @ the supermarket/store?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Of course! Ever notice that the "flashy" and most brightly colored (and more expensive) food items are located at eye level, and generic, (and usually healthier foods) are located above or below and on the ends of store aisles?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• From my understanding......yes! I actually know someone who does this thing (arranges items on shelves according to what corporate wants), and he can vouch for this! It's ridiculous, so we always check all the shelves lol!
    Anonymous

• They sure do. Check out this list. http://www.rd.com/living-healthy/13-things-your-grocer-wont-tell-you/article118923.html

8. I'm not just selling groceries, I'm selling real estate. Look high and low-literally-for good values from smaller manufacturers who can't afford to stock their products in the eye-level sweet spot.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:15 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• yes companies do have to pay for there spots on the shelves in supermarkets if they don't pay for there spot they loose it to the company who paid
    VanessaCalhoun

Answer by VanessaCalhoun at 12:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• When my husband was younger he used to work at a drugstore so I know that companies pay for their products to be "strategically placed"
    bringin

Answer by bringin at 12:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Many times it's not so much a cash payment, but they will give the retailer a break on price so that they can have optimum shelf space and location. Or like when they make a display (like beer displays around time of Super Bowl), they will have one of their reps or workers make sure that the display is kept up to snuff and well stocked, as well as giving the retailer a break on price. It's much more complicated than "pay this much $$ for this shelf".

Anonymous

• YES.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Yep. Some companies might even choose NOT to shelve their products at stores because of good marketing sense. OR, they put their inexpensive looking products on shelves in stores and then package the SAME product in a more luxurious container and sell it for $80 more. There's a mans aftershave/soap that does this.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 12:33 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Of course they do. It's not a constant thing though; often the products that get prime real estate are just there because they're the most profitable e.g. they'll put the cereal with a 30 cent profit margin in a better spot than the one with the 10 cent profit margin regardless of whether the brand is compensating them or not.

The only chain I know of that doesn't do this is Trader Joes. The displays there are developed by the crew member in charge of that section based on what they need to move e.g. popular items or items that have been over-ordered and need to be sold fast.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2009