Can someone please make me feel better?

I am weaning my 16 month old son from breastfeeding, I am sixteen weeks pregnant with number two. I feel like it's a good time because when he nurses lately it feels like there is little or no milk it just hurts now. We had a really good run with breastfeeding, which I am very blessed for. And now that my tummy is growing I think it's a good time to stop. My son don't fully understand that he has to watch his feet around my tummy now. I feel that I can't continue breastfeeding anymore with the pain, lack of milk and kicking. So it has been two nights with out a breast, and hes doing great. I am very proud of him, but last night he cradled in my lap and was pulling my shirt open asking for his 'booey' I didn't want to have to start over so I said no hunny how about some water. With him being so tired he cried. I felt so bad about my decision at that point.

Am I doing the right thing? I love breastfeeding but I need to (cont)

LucasMama08

Asked by LucasMama08 at 12:14 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with you. I had the same exact situation with my younger two babies. It will probably be the hardest in the next couple of days, but stick to it and he will get over it soon enough. You have given 16 wonderful months, that is better than most babies get. I didn't want to nurse two at the same time either, some people can, but I am not one of them. No worries, he will be fine after a couple of more days. I would go with him to pick out a big kid sippy, that is special to him.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Wean him now so he doesn't think its because of the baby. I am feeling guilty. I hold him a lot and sing a ton. We definitely still get our bonding time. I guess I would just like to know if I am doing the right thing. I don't want to be breastfeeding two babies at once. Sometimes people can work it out, but my breasts are so sore right now. I would honestly just like a short break in between the two so I can breastfeed the next as long as him. I know if I breastfed both that in the end my second would get the short end of the stick because I would wean together and that would shorten this babys time.

Anyways thats all, just looking for some encouraging words. Thanks in advance.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• dont feel bad, 16mths is awesome, i did it for 14mths and I felt like superwoman. its time for your little one to hit the sippy cup. he'll eventually love it. get him a character one. i got my son a mickey mouse one and he loved it. hope everything goes well
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 12:18 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I think you should be really proud of yourself for sticking with it for so long. I see no reason for you to feel bad about weaning him. I think it's smart to start a little while before the new baby comes so he will be well adjusted by the time he sees you nursing again. It's always hard to see your child upset but after a little while I'm sure he will be fine.
    jill.a.k.a.mom

Answer by jill.a.k.a.mom at 12:20 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• He has had a tippy since six months so he does love it thankfully. He just hasn't quite grasped no more boo boo at bed time. lol. Thanks so much!
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 12:21 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• He is 16 months- he should be on regular milk now, this is what you can try: Take your son to the store to pick out his very own sippy cup. But you have to be all overly excited about it I mean punch it up a notch! Try to get the cup in one of the characters that he likes, Cars, Diego,Blues clues, Elmo- whatever- then get whole milk- but this is the part many moms probably won't agree,( put a little chocolate in it just a little! ) let him help you make it or you can make strawberry. I did this with my 2 youngest and they did not come back for the breast after that, eventually, I had to wean them from the chocalate and strawberry, but if you only put a pinch- they really won't even notice its not there. good luck.
    calatres

Answer by calatres at 12:24 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• You are doing the right thing. You are right - if you let him, it will undo the progress you've made and will make it that much harder next time.
    He's a toddler now - there will be many, many times in the coming years when he will cry because you don't give him what he wants.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• You are an awsome mommy and you are doing wat is best for your toddler, your baby to be, and yourself. Kudos to you, you wonderful mommy you!
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• OK. First thing you need to understand...he's gonna resent the baby no matter what. That's natural and don't even worry about it. Toddlers would all be onlies if given the choice...you cannot make that a consideration.

You did great. And guilt is a waste of your time unless you committed murder.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:55 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• I don't agree that he will resent the new baby. Maybe he will and maybe he won't, but you can't let that rule your life.

You are doing what is best for him, because it is what is best for you. Sometimes the best thing we can do for ourselves is make ourselves happy first. As long as it isn't going to harm our babies, then it is ok to occasionally put our own needs first.
    Big Hugs Momma it will get better soon.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2009