What to do my 5 and 7 year old were invited to there best friends party

but my husband and i are really not on talking terms with the friend parents. we were really good aquaintances, we vacationed once together, but i had it out with one of my sons team mate moms, whom then turned around became friends with the parents of my sons best friend, and now my 7 year old sons best friend parents dont associate with us, but that other family associates with them.. so my son was invited to his friends party, but that one family will be there, so i opted to drop off my son, but what should i do, i cant keep being friends with this 7 year old, when his parents are not welcomeing, my husband confronted the friends father and that turned out worse for our friendship , but they love each other the boys.. and the parents called to invite him to party??? what to dooo about this whole dilema THANK YOU

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Oh, sounds like high school a little bit. It sounds like the bad blood might dissipate after awhile, as long as both sets of parents honor/respect the friendships between your sons. My first concern while reading your question is whether or not your son will be safe or treated unfairly by those parents when you're not around. If you believe you can trust those parents to be honorable towards your son when you're not around then the friendship between the kids should be allowed to keep growing. Good luck. Their happiness might make those parents wonder what the original issue was and might eventually let it go.
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 12:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Sounds like the other parents are doing what you should do: put the kids first. The issues between the parents have nothing to do with the friendship between the boys. There is no law that says you MUST be friends with the parents of your children's friends. If you can be civil to each other, why not do so for the sake of your children? I understand you have hurt feelings, and I'm not saying those feelings are wrong or unjustified in any way, but why punish the children? Just give it some thought. I think your idea to drop your son off is a good one.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 12:25 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• You can always just say: "No thanks.......! We are 'busy', that day." And then, you and your family can have 'FUN', together. :)
    Lisa1961

Answer by Lisa1961 at 12:42 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Let the kids play together. Your feelings about the parents shouldnt effect the kids that would be wrong.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:50 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• My only dilema, is that ive never ever let my kids go anywhere without one of us as parents, or my 17 year old son, and he is not welcomed at the party, because it is a 7 year old party. i want the kids to play together, but ive never left them before, not even at my moms...and my boys are so excited about going...
    Anonymous

• The important question here is Do you trust the parents? Even though you guys have had a disagreement, are they good parents? If you know in your heart that they aren't going to allow something bad to happen to your kids, let them go. If they drink all day and night and run around with guns, don't let them go. I have a 6 year old and she has 2 different friends (so far) whose parents I trust. I don't have to be there, although most of the time I am, but if I'm not there, I know in my heart that they will be watched and safe. And that's what you need to decide. The boys love being friends, so don't take that away from them without good reason.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Seriously, In my opinion if they called to invite your children then they have opened the door. Just go!!! Watch your children have fun with their friends and if you have to smile and say "hello" then do it. No one says you have to stand and chat with them the whole time.
    If my divorced parents can come to my son's party every year and pretend, then so can you. It's for the kiddos. Plus, who knows it could be the begining of the "end" of the parents disagreeing.
    Anonymous

• I think that you should allow the children to continue their relationship. I don't get along with my kids best friends mother, but we work it out to where the kids can still have their friendship. If you trust these people as you have to care for your child (plus other parents will be there not like they will harm the child with others there) then let the boys continue their friendship. If anything drop them off 10 minutes after the party starts and then pick them up a little early that way people are still there.
    Anonymous