Military Wives: Do you vacation during a PCS or just worry about the move?

Do you and DH take some extra time and get away before heading to your new duty station or do you just go from point A to point B?

RavnJay

Asked by RavnJay at 12:19 PM on Jul. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Worry about the move. Always too much to do and never enough time to do it.
    penguinqueengi

Answer by penguinqueengi at 12:22 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• worry about the move.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• We've always taken a little extra time and done something for ourselves during the move. The first time we didn't do anything big, just stayed a resort on the way from point A to point B (the resort stay was a gift from my grandparents after DH returned from Iraq) then the 2nd time, we visited with DH's family because he was getting ready to deploy after getting to his next duty station. This time we'll be moving shortly after his return so we are trying to decide on some place nice to stop on the way to be together as a family for a short while in the middle of our hectic lives. LOL
    RavnJay

Answer by RavnJay at 12:29 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Some people take Leave and go home to see family.. When PCSing.We usually went straight to the next Duty station and got set up..From moving from one place to another,,finding a place to live. Getting your home set up..Getting the kids in school..There is know time to get away..My DH is retired Army.

Answer by louise2 at 12:30 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• with our last move we did. we moved closer to family so we went home and were able to drop the kids off with grandparents and then we went to the next duty station which is only 4 hours from our family. our next pcs though will probably just be about the move since we will have at least 2 in school, if not 3 in school., so we will want to get them back into school quickly if its during the school year.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• Depends on the convenience factor... If there is someone or thing near by to do, might as well enjoy the ride and take an extra day, kwim? Mostly I feel like it's a vacation because we have GREAT family support that will come and help us move. So getting to see them is a great treat amidst the excitement of starting at a new place.

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 12:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2009

• We had no choice but to vacation. My family helped us move, and since our son was not quite 2 yet, and our daughter was only 7 weeks old, we stopped at their house for a break, hubby came on to get the house ready for us (so I wouldn't have to worry about it with a toddler and new baby) and we ended up having an 8 week break because there was no on-post housing, and we couldn't find a house we could afford to rent. I love my grandparents, but I don't ever want to live with them again!! 8 weeks was about 6 weeks too long.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 1:03 PM on Jul. 2, 2009